Files are missing from a hard drive

Solved
  1. GrimNir

GrimNir New Member

Local time:
    14:14
    My System

[IMAGE]

As you can see of a 1 TB external Hard drive with 610Gb is in use. However when you open the external hard drive it says there are no files

If you scan it with an anti-virus it scans 16,565 files, which shows they are still there, but finds no virus.

I scanned the disc and selected fix errors

I've used Western Digitals Hard drive diagnostic tools

Recover my Data program shows numerous folders, files, roots etc, but can only recover 335GB of the 610GB thats missing and all the MKV files recovered that way are corrupt

Here's what I was told happened. My friend had his external hard drive connected to the computer and was on the internet. All of a sudden multiple blank white pages just started opening up on top of each other continuously. He attempted to close them, then to close internet explorer, nothing was happening, so then he turned off his computer after about 2 or 3 minutes. Now his PC won't start up, it states the windows files etc are missing. I removed the hard drive and hooked it up as a second hard drive to my machine, it reads that 235Gb are in use, but when accessed also claims there are no files in the folder????? And his hard drive is like this, stating no files. Yet there hardly seems time to have done anything like this.

Has anyone any idea's what it is or how you can fix it??

SORTED
    Although I always have my folder options set to show hidden files, and so therefore assumed it wasn't this. And I had recently used that feature so know it was set to that. When I open folder options with the external hard drive open, I noticed it was now set to hidden. I altered it to show hidden folders and all was revealed. I then had to access properties on each folder and untick the hidden & the read only options and its all back to normal.

Now to try that on the PC
  2. Hengis

Hengis Proud PCHF'er since 2004 Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    05:14
    My System

Welcome and well done :)

Want us to mark this up as Solved?
  3. luzlorita

luzlorita New Member

Local time:
    05:14
    My System

I think your external hard drive is infected by viruses. In order to restore missing files, you need to use relevant data recovery tool. I have used hard drive data recovery tool to recover lost data from accidentally formatted hard drive. This software can also recover lost files from external hard drives. Even hard drive recovery on Windows 7 OS is also possible by this software. FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, NTFS5 and ExFAT are the different types of file system supported by this software. This software can also recover lost files from accidentally formatted or reformatted hard drives. You can download free demo version to estimate recovery results.
  4. GrimNir

GrimNir New Member

Local time:
    14:14
    My System

please mark as solved. Thank you
  5. DCiAdmin

DCiAdmin Here to Help!

Local time:
    23:14
    My System

I'll get this marked as SOLVED for you, GrimNir :) See you around again!

This thread is now marked as Solved and has been closed. If the problem re-occurs, please start a new thread and if it has a bearing on your original thread then please state this and a member of staff will supply the link to the original post.