Ethernet causes my laptop to freeze

1. Mouse_Nightshirt

Mouse_Nightshirt New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    10:51
    My System

Hello!

I'm here because I'm desperately seeking some help on this issue which I've been battling with for a week to no avail.

I have a Dell XPS M1530 laptop that has a serious problem with ethernet connections. If I connect to the web via ethernet, my laptop will eventually freeze. Sometimes it can be minutes, sometimes it can be hours, but if I leave it on long enough, it will happen. By "freeze", I mean the keyboard will stop responding, followed a few seconds by the mouse. The HDD then goes crazy for a bit (as if it's making a memory dump, although none is made), before clicking off. The only way to get out is a hard reset.

Networking directly with a crossover cable to another PC doesn't cause this issue.

The laptop has absolutely no issues whatsoever connecting wirelessly and will happily work on a WiFi connection.

I have tried absolutely everything I can think of. I've reinstalled all my network drivers, motherboard drivers, upgraded my BIOS, changed ethernet cables, changed router, tried running in safe mode to see if it happens there (which it does), tried different browsers, disabled all other unnecessary hardware and tried disabling all unnecessary protocols (IPv6 etc etc). Absolutely nothing has worked and it's driving me round the bend! #!#

I've searched google for goodness knows how long and nowhere seems to have a solution, so I'm here to ask all you intelligent ladies and gents as to what you think it could be.

I'm on Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit SP2 with a Marvell Yukon 88E8040 ethernet card. Intel Core 2 Duo T5800, 3GB RAM.

Thanks for any help you offer!

2. Smokeycheech

Smokeycheech Well-Known Member Elite Member PCHF $Donator

Local time:
    My System

Hello Mouse_nightshirt, Welcome to PCHF!

We have a fantastic staff of techs here who I am sure will be able to help you.

I will mark your thread as open and someone will be with you as soon as possible to help with your issue!

Thank you for your patience :)

Smokeycheech

3. Mouse_Nightshirt

Local time:
    My System

Thank you!

4. elpmek

elpmek Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    My System

Perhaps the ethernet component (or one of them) is overheating and hence cutting out.

I'd suggest the answer is just to use it wirelessly.
    or
    [FONT=&quot]Your PC temperatures can be tested by downloading from here:[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Download SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer
    [/FONT]

Any flames..???

5. Mouse_Nightshirt

Local time:
    My System

I use realtemp and the temps are within normal bounds (50-70) - or at least normal for what I understand this laptop usually is.

My only hassle with wireless is that I'm not at home at the minute, I'm out on a placement in Singapore - I have an option of horrendously slow wireless or ultra-fast ethernet that freezes my laptop. On top of that, I can only access the Wifi from outside of my room, so it's a problem I'd really like to fix if I can.

But the overheating suggestion could be true, it's in a very warm area of my laptop.

6. elpmek

elpmek Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    My System

All I can further suggest - don't block the underneath of the computer - by using it on carpet or duvet, perhaps get a fan to blow underneath it.................

Others in the forum may know better............

7. DIIRE

DIIRE Well-Known Member Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    22:51
    My System

Hi Mouse,

When you reinstalled the ethernet drivers - did you uninstall the old ones first? If not uninstall first, reboot, then reinstall.

To uninstall the old drivers to the following:
    Go into Device Manager - right click your ethernet adapter > select Properties.
    Select the drivers tab > click Uninstall.

Do you have good antivirus and/or firewall? If not I'd also recommend installing one and only what you know is genuine traffic and see if that helps the problem.

8. Mouse_Nightshirt

Local time:
    My System

Yup, uninstalled them all before I reinstalled. Have BitDefender 2009 and it does a full system scan every week (nothing detected yesterday), Spybody S&D and AdAware come up empty as well (apart from the regular cookies).

I've noticed it doesn't freeze when I watch streaming video which is odd or maybe just coincidence. I've raised it off the desk as well which has seemed to help.

I reckon it could be overheating. I'll get back in a while to see if this box underneath the laptop helps (as long as it doesnt fall off the desk...)

9. Mouse_Nightshirt

Local time:
    My System

Update:

It seems to feeze more often if I've been typing alot (??!?) - so forums, going to lots of different websites, instant messaging etc. But it doesn't necessarily freeze right then, but it definitely is worse if Ive been typing a lot.

10. DIIRE

Local time:
    My System

It could be your antivirus or firewall causing the problem.

Try disabling Bitdefender temporarily and see if that helps. Disable all the components if you can and test it to see if you still get the same problem.

11. Mouse_Nightshirt

Local time:
    My System

DIIRE: I'll give that a go and see what happens.

Thanks to everyone for their help so far, really appreciated!

12. DIIRE

Local time:
    My System

No problem - let us know how you go.

13. Mouse_Nightshirt

Local time:
    My System

No joy. I've also remembered I tried running in safe mode and it did it there too.

I'm beginning to suspect it may be my ethernet card...

14. DIIRE

Local time:
    My System

There's possibility that it is.

Try installing a different firewall like Zone Alarm and uninstalling Bitdefender completely temporarily and see if it still happens. You may need to use the Removal tool from their website to remove it properly.

If you're notebook is still under warranty, contact them - if not then contact them to get a removable ethernet adapter.

15. Mouse_Nightshirt

Local time:
    My System

I'll give that a go this weekend and see what happens :)