Error message every time: Sorry, there seems to be a problem with Outlook right now

1. MaxPower81

MaxPower81 New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    06:56
    My System

Every time I try to access my email I get the error message: "Sorry, there seems to be a problem with Outlook right now". Underneath that message is a button which says "Try to return to Outlook". When I click that button, it takes me to my email without any further problem. It's just an annoying and unnecessary extra step.

Underneath the button it says "If you continue to have this problem, please report it to Microsoft". I have done that probably 30-40 times, but it clearly doesn't help. I am sick of waiting for Microsoft to fix it, so I have to find a solution myself.

It's an annoyance, because it happens every single time I go to access my email. It's been happening ever since Outlook took over from Hotmail.

I access my email by using either the "read mail" button on the command bar, the E-Mail command on the start menu, or the E-mail button on my keyboard. All 3 methods produce the same result. To clarify, these shortcuts are all built in, ie. I did not create the shortcuts myself.

I have noticed that if I manually type www.hotmail.com into the address bar, the error screen does NOT appear and everything works correctly. This leads me to think that there is an issue with the shortcuts which were intended for hotmail, but are now supposed to direct to the new Outlook. I cannot find any way to change (or even view) the target of these shortcuts. I suspect this is where the issue lies.

I am using IE 8, on Windows XP.

I have already cleared my Temporary Internet Files and Cookies. There was no change to the problem.

I have tried removing the start menu shortcut, changing to one of the other options, and changing back again, in the hope of somehow refreshing the link. This also did not help.

I cannot recreate the issue with other browsers, as the email shortcuts open in IE by default, even if I change the default browser.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks.
  2. ZeroByte

ZeroByte | ̵̱ ̵̱ ̵̱ ̵̱(̢ ̡͇̅└͇̅┘͇̅ (▤8כ−◦ Tech Member Elite Member PCHF $Donator

Local time:
    16:56
    My System

Hi and welcome to PCHF!

Why not just create new shortcuts to https://mail.live.com and delete the ones that are causing you grief?
  3. 12moon

12moon Banned

Local time:
    21:56
    My System

or try an email client like Thunderbird?
  4. MaxPower81

MaxPower81 New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    06:56
    My System

Because I can't create shortcuts in the command bar, they are built into IE8, and I can't change the path of the keyboard shortcut, and these are the two I use most often. I feel like these shortcuts have to be getting "direction" from somewhere, most likely in the registry, but I can't find it.