ERROR 0271:check date and time settings

Solved
  1. ss4644

ss4644 New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    02:04
    My System

I am a newbee to the site ,#!#
    I have a t43 thinkpad with 2 gig g-skill memory. I bought it used and it has worked great untill i shut it off , then went to reboot and it boots to ERROR 0271:check date and time settings. Then I get a padlock icon asking for a password (i never installed a password for it to ask for).
    I purchaced a 3volt bios battery and installed it but still get the same error.
    Does anyone have a solution ?
    Thanks,
    Ron Baughman
    czzj2 likes this.
  2. Lord Chance

Lord Chance Well-Known Member Elite Member

Local time:
    20:04
    My System

Hello ss4644 and welcome to PC Help Forum..:)

We hope you enjoy your time here. We have the most friendly and helpful Staff and Users around. Let me move your thread to where it needs to be and mark it OPEN to get everyone involved.:mrgreen:

LC
  3. ss4644

Local time:
    My System

Lord Chance, Thanks for the responce to my thread. How do I follow any responce where you opened it?
    I have never used a forum so please excuse my ignorance!
    Thanks,
    Ron Baughman A.K.A.ss4644?*?
  4. Crush

Crush Active Member

Local time:
    21:04
    My System

ss4644,

Can you boot into Safe Mode by pressing either F8 or F10 when the computer boots up (this will differ depending on your laptop)
  5. ss4644

Local time:
    My System

Crush,
    No not a thing except ERROR:
    0271:Check date and time settings
    then sometimes I get ERROR:
    0210: Stuck Key 42
    But always get 0271 ERROR
    Thanks,
    Ron
  6. Crush

Crush Active Member

Local time:
    My System

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ss4644,

It sounds as though your computer has the wrong time in the CMOS. The CMOS (Complementary Metal-Oxide Semiconductors) is the chip that holds the basic startup information for the BIOS, system and its peripherals while the system is turned on and off.

If you can get into the BIOS check the date and time settings and make sure they are correct.

It may also be a case of the CMOS Battery going out. When this happens your computer will tend to not keep the correct time. They are cheap and relatively easy to replace. Before buying a new battery you can try to take it out and let it sit for about 10 minutes or so to reset the CMOS and then go put the battery back in and go into the BIOS and reset the clock.

Hopefully taking the battery out or replacing it will get past your lock icon asking for the password. If not then you may have to find out the manufacturer of your computer's motherboard to see if there is a common password to get past the lockout. Since it’s a laptop then it should be easier to find this code based on the manufacturer.

These links may help you with that:
    How do I Reset an IBM ThinkPad BIOS Password?
    CMOS Password locked on IBM Thinkpad
    [/FONT]
  7. ss4644

Local time:
    My System

Crush,
    Thanks for your time and info. I don't know why I cant get into my bios . I did replace my cmos battery but it seems like nothing will get me in. I will check out the links you gave me and get back with you later today . I've been working with this all day and it is 2:45am EST.
    Thanks and good-night,
    Ron Baughman
  8. Crush

Crush Active Member

Local time:
    My System

I'm on the East Coast as well ss :) so I will be heading to bed shortly. I look forward to your reply and hope my links work for you
  9. ss4644

Local time:
    My System

Hi Crush,
    Been busting my **** trying to get info and I might have the answer for this forum. It is instructions, circuit diagrams, tutorial and programs to help with cracking back into a thinkpad. the site is :ALLservice-Solutii de calitate page Service Forum :: View topic - [Tutorial] How to unlock ThinkPad supervisor password ,& ALLservice-Download Center PDF circuits http://www.allservice.ro/forum/dl/driven-i2cprog.pdf & http://www.allservice.ro/forum/dl/simple-i2cprog.pdf.
    I sure do hope this works cause I will be buying a bredboard and parts to try it. Wish me luck because my laptop is scrap if it don't work.
    Oddly, it is the same method the sites you suggested use and charge for the service.
    If you can think of anything else PLEASE let me know!
    I will let you know what happens (working laptop or SCRAP)
    Thanks for all the help or I never would have found this much info.*ye%

:mrgreen: Ron Baughman
  10. Crush

Crush Active Member

Local time:
    My System

ss4644,

That seems like a very complicated method to get to something that should be very easy. I'm going to as some other staff to come have a look at this to see if they have any ideas
  11. AW_3_3

AW_3_3 Resident Otaku Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    My System

Hi there :) Lets see what we can do for you. If you have one, see if you can boot from the Windows Installation disc. If you can, it means that it is likely a windows error, instead of a problem with the actual system itself.

EDIT: Oh, and you can follow a thread by clickin on thread tools, and select subscribe to thread. Then, when you log in, you can click on quick links, and select subscribed threads. Hope this helps. :)
  12. ss4644

Local time:
    My System

Crush & AW_3_3,
    I sure hope one of your staff knows something about this thing cause this very complicated method I found out is not only complicated but out of my financial range. After having a email exchange with this site I found out it can add up to $150.00 !! besides the shipping !!!
    Finally found a laptop that I like and it decides to ****-out on me.
    Please keep trying.
    Thanks,
    Ron
  13. AW_3_3

AW_3_3 Resident Otaku Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    My System

Well, if it is going to be that complicated it would be better just to take it to a computer store and have them fix it. But first, can you boot from a windows XP/vista installation disc?
  14. ss4644

Local time:
    My System

AW_3_3,
    Yep I tried to boot from a windows XP/vista installation disc, and didn't
    work. I called a couple of computer stores, but they tell me I have to send it back to IBM, and from what I found was they have to replace the motherboard if i don't have the password. I even emailed the place that I purchased it to see if they could help me and never got a reply. I recommend
    U never buy from LAPTOPS UNLIMITED LLC on ebay!
    Some how I have to find a way to change the binary password to read the PC8394T-VJG (super I/O chip with TPM functions) to store the supervisor password.
    Please help me because I am out of resources at this moment.#!#
    I do programing at work and I use (used) it to edit programs out in the shop. It worked beautiful till I shut it off, then went to edit another program and got the error and a BIG PADLOCK ICON! That's all folks!:hilar
    Once again THANKS and I hope sometime in the neer future I can contribute to your FORUM !!!
    Ron:mrgreen: