Emachines t5248 keeps shutting down

1. dakotamidnight

dakotamidnight New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    09:40
    My System

I have an Emachines t5248 that I bought a few years ago, and it had died on me over a year ago with this problem. I swapped to a laptop I had, and didn't try to fix it as I was busy with family stuff. Now I'm trying to fix it with no luck.

T5248, with everything stock. It will start up, then die as if you pulled the power cord anywhere from in the logon screen to hours after starting - there is no reason to when. Sometimes you hear a click when it shuts off - sometimes not. Ran virus check with Avast - nothing. When I start up, it does the whole normal or safe mode thing, shuts down both in safe mode and normal. A couple of times it came up with a disk repair screen instead of the normal/safe mode screen - shuts down during that too sometimes. Doesn't appear to have any problems with the caps {I googled for possible causes already and found that}. Fans running fine too. System is running Vista fwiw with 2 512mb sticks of ram.

Any ideas? I really really need to fix this, as I can't afford right now to go buy a new PC.
  2. georgeks

georgeks Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Member

Local time:
    16:40
    My System

Hi dakotamidnight

Can you try this method for checking your HDDS' status? -you will have to connect the HDD to a Desktop PC, and set the BIOS HDD access mode to IDE.

Due to chipset issues, unfortunately, smartudm cannot access a HDD on a Notebook PC.

If no FDD or USB FDD is available on a Desktop PC, go here and follow the instructions to create a bootable USB stick, to check your HDD's S.M.A.R.T. records:

Download the free program SMARTUDM - HDD S.M.A.R.T. Viewer, it is on the bottom of the page, scroll down to find it.

Put the program on a Boot Floppy -or the Bootable USB stick you created- boot the PC from the floppy (or the USB), and on the prompt type: smartudm

Select the HDD you want to see the S.M.A.R.T. records from, and keep pressing <ENTER> until the program asks you to press R to generate a report.
    Generate the report and when in the Windows Desktop -on a different system if you cannot boot- open the report with Notepad, then Save as type: Plain Text (makes viewing easier) and post it here.

If the program does not find your HDD, change the settings in the BIOS from AHCI to IDE (for the HDD).

I have also created a bootable CD ISO with smartudm, you can get it from here: smartudm.iso the only difference is that you cannot save the report (use a mobile phone to get a screeshot)
  3. dakotamidnight

Local time:
    My System

I tried both doing it on a USB and the link to the bootable CS ISO - neither worked in my PC. It would not boot from the USB at all, even when selected as a boot device. The CD it goes to the boot from cd prompt, then right on to normal booting.

Any ideas?
  4. dakotamidnight

Local time:
    My System

Okays I'm fairliy sure the problem is in the hard drive - I tested each component and only when the hard drive is in use does it shut down.

Guess I'll be buying a new hard drive soon. I did a few error checks that it would allow me to do - nothing came up wrong with HDtune or anything else. But this hard drive has always sounded really off since I bought the PC - it grinds all the time which I"m guessing is part of the problem.