Dual Monitors from Laptop Docking Station

1. Ohbie

Ohbie New Member

Local time:
    04:09
    My System

Hello all,

I currently have:

2 HP L1908w monitors. Each monitor has a VGA input.
    HP 6530b laptop with VGA output
    HP Advanced Docking Station KP081UT with VGA output and DVI-D output

The laptop is currently docked and I have a one of the L1908w monitors hooked up via the VGA output of the docking station. I have extended my display from my laptop to the connected monitor.

My problem is I am unsure how to connect the second monitor. Ideally, I would fold down (close) the laptop, and have it's screen duplicated on one of the monitors, and extend the display to the 2nd monitor.

I knew it would be difficult trying to connect the DVI-D out of the docking station to the VGA input of the monitor. I tried to use a DVI-D to DVI-I adapter, then a DVI-I to VGA adapted connected to that. Then finally I was able to use my VGA cable to connect the monitor. Unfortunately this did not work.

I am running Windows 7 and under "Control Panel>Appearance and Personalization>Display>Screen Resolution" It lists 3 displays:

1: Mobile PC Display (Laptop)
    2: HP L1908w (connected via straight VGA)
    3: Display Device on: Moble PC Display (I'm assuming the 2nd HP L1908w connected via DVI-D to DVI-I to VGA)

When I set it up so that it should display on the 2nd HP L1908w, that monitor doesn't detect any input.

If anyone knows if this is possible at all with the hardware I am running, or if I am using incorrect connectors, your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Please let me know if I need to provide any more information.

Edit: I now realize that when I first tried to adjust the settings for the 2nd HP L1908w monitor that when I pressed "Detect" it informed me another display was not detected, and I chose to 'try and connect anyway on Mobile PC Display', and that's when it showed Display 3: Display device on: Mobile PC Display.

2. Smokeycheech

Smokeycheech Well-Known Member Elite Member PCHF $Donator

Local time:
    10:09
    My System

Hello Ohbie and welcome to PC Help Forum *wel

We have a great team of techs here so I am sure we will be able to provide you with some useful suggestions ;)

I have opened your thread to catch a techs eye...someone will be with you shortly

Regards,

Smokeycheech :D

3. Ohbie

Ohbie New Member

Local time:
    My System

Thank you Smokeycheech. I appreciate it!

4. Ohbie

Ohbie New Member

Local time:
    My System

After doing some extensive research I think I've determined that it is not possible to connect a monitor with only a VGA port to a DVI-D port on the docking station without a converter (not an adapter).

With that said, I am now in the market for an HP Docking Station with two VGA ports. Does anyone know of one off hand?

5. DCiAdmin

DCiAdmin Well-Known Member

Local time:
    My System

Hello & Welcome, Ohbie :)

I have PMed someone on the forum that I believe will have this info. Thanks for waiting :mrgreen:

6. georgeks

georgeks Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Member

Local time:
    11:09
    My System

Hello Ohbie

Vacationing somewhere in the south of France, I am out of touch with most resources from work, however, if you click on the link below
    HP Replacement Parts
    and then Replacement Part Inquiries you can e-mail HP directly.

Hengis and DCiAdmin like this.
  7. zigzag3143

zigzag3143 Guest

Local time:
    05:09
    My System

This thread has expired and is now Closed.
    If you have a similar issue, please open a new thread in the appropriate forum.

If you feel this is in error feel free to Pm me as to why.

Ken J