Documents Print Incorrectly with Word 2007

1. BChick

BChick New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    07:33
    My System

I have been trying to resolve a printing issue for the last week with little success. I have a large Xerox Multifunction printer and I have two new computers with Vista Home Premium installed. I have Microsoft Office 2007 loaded on these computers and I cannot print books in booklet format.

The strange thing is, I can print documents correctly from my laptop running Microsoft XP and Word 2003 and I can print correctly on another printer running Vista Home Premium and Office 2007, but for some reason, the computer running Vista with Office 2007 cannot print documents correctly. I have tried speaking with the printer technical support team, however, they have not been able to duplicate the problem.

I am trying to figure out the likely cause of the problem or at least get an idea of what direction to head. I have to have a computer running Office 2007 as I have a Macro document that has to run off this version to work properly with another external application.

The print drivers installed on the computers running Vista are the recommeded drivers off of the manufacturerès website.

Any suggestions of what I could do at my end to try and rectify this problem would be great. I am stuck between whether it is the version of MS Word, the operating system or the printer driver for Vista.

2. driver_ian

driver_ian Security Team

Local time:
    12:33
    My System

Re: Documents Print Incorrectly with Word 200

Hi bchick,
    I've marked your thread as Open to encourage a response from the Techs.
    I feel sure some of our tallented Members and Staff will be able to assist you with this

3. elpmek

elpmek Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    My System

A bit more info...

Are the PC's that are printing correctly connected to the same Xerox printer in the same manner?

If yes then the printing parameters/defaults for the new PCs are clearly different, even down to type of paper.

4. BChick

Local time:
    My System

Thank you for replying.

Here are some more details regaring my printing issues. I have several different computers running, some with Vista Home Premium and some with XP Home. These operating systems were already pre-installed when we purchased the computers.

Here are the configurations that allow me to print the booklet we regularly print.

• XP Home with MS Word 2003, Xerox WorkCentre 7665 Post Script 2.0 printer driver for XP installed from Xerox website
    • Vista Home Premium with MS Word 2003, Xerox WorkCentre 7665 Post Script 2.0 printer driver for Vista OS downloaded directly from Xerox website.
    The following configuration is what is yielding problems when trying to print.

• Vista Home Premium SP1, MS Word 2007, Xerox WorkCentre 7665 Post Script 2.0 printer friver for Visa OS downloaded directly from Xerox website.
    The Xerox print properties for this type of printer has a bit more to it than a standard printer as we have options to add pre-printed covers and the machine folds and staples the booklets. (11" x 17" paper)

I have been opening the same document on one of the problemmatic computers that I use on the XP machines running Word 2003. I put in the exact same print parameters as I use on the XP machines as well. I made sure that they were the same by moving one of the PCs to my desk so I could use my laptop at the same time and verify the print settings.

The document print parameters call for only 11" x 17" (2 types of 11" x 17" paper stock is used) and when the job gets to the printer, it is asking for 8.5" x 11" paper in addition to the two types of 11" x 17" paper that is required for the job and will not print.

Another problem I have had, and it has occured only on the machines which are running Vista and Word 2007, is when I have tried using an oder PostScript driver to see if that would work. The job will actually print, however, some of the text on specific pages are missing and there are sporatic lines in place of the text. This only occurs on less than 5% of the total pages.

The document in question was created with an older version of Word, but it displays correctly on the monitor in Word 2007, Word 2007, or a combination of Vista and Office 2007 causing the problem.

Should I try purchasing a copy of XP Pro and install that in lieu of Vista, or purchase a copy of office 2003 (all the existing licences I have for Office 2003 have been used) and give that a try?

I hope I did not make this more confusing for you all who read this. I am just at an impass as to whether it may be Vista,

5. elpmek

Local time:
    My System

Is the print job a Word 2003 macro?

Have you tried running Word 2007 in compatability mode for earlier versions of Word?

6. BChick

Local time:
    My System

The document has no Macros.

When I open the file in Word 2007, it shows that it is in compatability mode at the top of the screen.

I have even tried viewing the document using Microsoft's Word 2003 Viewer and I still have the same problem printing where the printer is looking for paper that is not a part of the job properties.

7. BChick

Local time:
    My System

As another note. I tried to print this same document as a PDF file and I am running into the same problem. I enter in the print settings to have the Xerox WorkCentre 7665 print a stapled booklet and it still wants 8.5" x 11" in the printer even though the job properties specify that 11" x 17" paper should be used for printing. (Note: In Word, the document was created on 8.5" x 11" paper, but the print properties allows you to print on larger size pages and it makes the necessary size adjustments to text and pictures.)

8. elpmek

Local time:
    My System

Is the printer running off a PC or through a router?

9. BChick

Local time:
    My System

The printer is a network printer running through a router. There is no PC hooked up directly to the Xerox WorkCentre 7665 printer.

10. elpmek

Local time:
    My System

I'm sure it's something trivial but next step update the one that works to SP1 (if it doesn't just restore it to time prior to the update).

Elimination process is the only way i can think of forward.............

11. BChick

Local time:
    My System

I just double checked the other computer that is running Vista and Word 2003 and it is running SP1 just like the other computer that will not print booklets correctly that is running Vista SP1 and Word 2007.

12. Amtech

Amtech Well-Known Member Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    My System

BChick,

Have you gone on each computer and looked in:

Start > Control Panel > Printers & Faxes > Right Click the Xerox and choose Properties

Advanced > Print Preferences

And verified that all the settings are the same for all three computers.

How did you install the drivers for the two computers that print properly? Using the same setup from the manufacturer's website or did you use a CD?

13. BChick

Local time:
    My System

The solution to this printing problem has been found. It ended up being a problem with the Xerox printer drivers. We needed a specific driver to be able to print what we wanted that has features in it that Xerox took out of their subsequent driver revisions.

So far this older driver is working with Vista and Office 2007. Thank you to everyone who posted trying to help me with this problem!

14. Amtech

Amtech Well-Known Member Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    My System

Got there in the end :)

Printer drivers can be tricky especially as many come with multiple possible drivers but usually only one of them will work properly.

Marked this as Fixed.