DOA Power Supply?

1. Arch Enemy

Arch Enemy New Member Silver Member

Local time:
    00:35
    My System

Yet more problems *ye%

Bought a new power supply which happened to be a Coolermaster Real Power 700W and hooked it all up to my hardware. Everything is correctly plugged in and the set up worked fine on my old cheap 600W Power Supply Unit. All I get know is my motherboard's LED flashing a green light at me. There's about a 2 second interval between the flashes and my internal speaker doesn't give out any beeps. Nothing starts the LED just flashes away. The motherboard is an Asus P5W DH Deluxe. I can't find anything about this in my manual so you lot are my second to last resort. If this doesn't help then I'll be in phone bill hell trying to work it out with the tech team at Asus.

Motherboard = Asus P5W DH Deluxe
    Power Supply = Coolermaster Real Power 700W

What are the chances of it being a DOA power supply? And does anyone know how good OCUK are at returns if so.

Cheers all :mrgreen:

Edit: Asus have no tech support over the phone, all done over their forums. You guys are my last hope before I have to RMA something.

2. AW_3_3

AW_3_3 Resident Otaku Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    19:35
    My System

can you reconnect the old psu and see if it works? If it does, it is probably a DOA power supply. First, did you make sure to connect the 4/8 pin CPU power connector to the motherboard?

3. Arch Enemy

Local time:
    My System

Sorry for the late reply. I connected my old PSU back up and everything works like a charm. Now I've got to RMA my new PSU. Just a quick question - how common are DOA power supplies?

Thanks

4. upgrader

upgrader Well-Known Member Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    My System

Generally OcUK are good on support, but my first order I did have problems with and was reluctant to go with them again. Most of the time I buy from Scan though because the delivery price is cheaper and most parts are :)

5. Arch Enemy

Local time:
    My System

If I bought from Scan I'd almost certainly still have troubles. My new problem is that my pc will start but nothings displayed. My graphics card, cpu power, 24 pin connection etc all plugged in. My motherboard light comes on and the CPU fan spins and so do the case fans but the screen shows nothing. I'm not even sure if it's booting. Any ideas?

Edit:I'm starting to think I cooked my processor

6. upgrader

Local time:
    My System

Scan are better than OcUK imo. I have had numerous orders with Scan and not a problem, they even gave me a higher spec item for the same price due to a stock error :)

Is that new problem with the old PSU ?

7. Arch Enemy

Local time:
    My System

Yup. Put my old PSU back in all the fans start up etc, mobo LED shines a bright green which it normally does but nothings displayed. I don't know much but I gather it's a CPU problem

8. upgrader

Local time:
    My System

Try reseating the RAM and ensure all connections are fine :)

9. ih8bills

ih8bills Well-Known Member Elite Member PCHF $Donator

Local time:
    19:35
    My System

It could also be the video card-- double/triple-check all connections
    carefully reseat all cards... it only takes fractions of a milimeter/thousandths of an inch for a bad connection.

10. Arch Enemy

Local time:
    My System

Sorry for the late reply. Right here goes; I took the motherboard out the case and just had the graphics card, a stick of RAM and the processor. Anyway I hooked it all up, turned on the electricity and the fans start up (HSF & my graphics card fan). All of a sudden I get one long continuous beep. I found this odd seeing as my motherboard was not connected to my internal case speaker. I've looked about and can't find anything about a speaker being on the model of motherboard I own. Anyway I'm confused to say the least. Any speculations on what this could be?

I double checked all connections and everything was alright. Wires in the right places and everything seated well.