Deleting Unnecessary Programs

1. chomolongma

chomolongma Member PCHF $Donator Silver Member

Local time:
    17:30
    My System

Hi Gurus!
    I'm back again. This time I have a question rather than a problem.

Instead of adding more memory to my laptop (IBM Thinkpad, Windows XP Professional with 1500 meg Pentium M prcessor and 512 meg RAM), I'm thinking of reducing the load on my HDD. For that I need to delete some unnecessary programs (not the ones I downloaded online). I'm sure there are some uncessary programs in the XP system which I can do without. I'm mainly an online surfer with occasional use of the Word program.

I have gone through several web based help programs but my knowledge is still at the bottom level. Some of them do show programs that they claim I can do without, but they are in codes and I don't know what they are. They might be extremely necessary or they might be useless if you don't use them.

So my request to you all: please give me a clue to how I can delete such unnecessary programs without any danger to my overall system. There might not be many but they might be occupying a lot of space in my HDD.
    I would appreciate it if you could explain those program codes in layman's English.

My purpose ? Well, many experts on other sites claim that by freeing much needed space from my HD, I can have my computer run faster and load pages even faster.

Thanks .
  2. Malnutrition

Malnutrition Member

Local time:
    16:30
    My System

3. Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    12:30
    My System

Hi chomolongma. Having only 512 MB's of RAM is really the bare minimum to run Windows XP. Your laptop would benefit from a speed increase if you upgraded the memory to at least 1 GB of RAM.

In addition to using the Should I remove It program that Malnutrition posted, please download CCleaner portable.

After you download the zipped folder to your desktop, right click the zipped folder and click Extract All. After the folder has been extracted open the regular folder. Double click on the CCleaner.exe program to open it. Once CCleaner opens, click on Tools on the left hand side< then at the top click on Uninstall. CCleaner will now show you a list of the installed programs that are on the laptop. At the bottom right of the program click on the Save to text file and save the file on your desktop.

Then, please download and run Autoruns. After you download the zipped folder on your desktop, right click the zipped folder and click Extract All. After the folder has been extracted open the regular folder. Double click on the autoruns.exe program to start it. When you open the program click the Logon Tab and take a screenshot of the Logon Tab in Autoruns.

Next, upload the text file that you saved in CCleaner as an attachment and post the screenshot of Autoruns in your next reply so I can give you some feedback on which programs should be uninstalled and removed from startup on your computer.
  4. chomolongma

Local time:
    My System

Hi Malnutrition! Sorry it took me a few days to answer. I ran the program that you suggested and it showed me a total of 67 programs running of which none were "unnecessary". Thanks for the tip.
  5. chomolongma

Local time:
    My System

Hi Evan! Thank you for your input. I am gonna go for adding additional memory. I have already ordered the memory stick compatible with the specifications of my laptop and it is on the way. I already have 512 meg and I'm going to add another 512 meg to my empty slot. That will give me about 1.4 gig memory. Please advise.
  6. Malnutrition

Malnutrition Member

Local time:
    My System

Ok I will assist with program removal.. ;)

Please download MINITOOLBOX and run it.

Checkmark following boxes:

Flush DNS
    Reset FF proxy Settings
    Reset Ie Proxy Settings
    Report IE Proxy Settings
    Report FF Proxy Settings
    List content of Hosts
    List IP configuration
    List Winsock Entries
    List last 10 Event Viewer log
    List Installed Programs
    List Users, Partitions and Memory size
    List Devices (problems only)

Click Go and post the result.

1- Please click HERE to download HijackThis.

2- Run the program.

3- Click on the Main Menu button if not already there.

4- Select Do a system scan and save a logfile.

5- Copy and paste the scan log from Notepad into your next reply.
  7. Evan Omo

Local time:
    My System

Alright that sounds good. I will continue to monitor this thread but since Malnutrition gave you some more instructions, follow his advice and if need be I will offer some feedback.
    Malnutrition likes this.
  8. chomolongma

Local time:
    My System

Hi Malnutrition, here are the logs for MINITOOL and HijackThis:

Attached Files:

9. Evan Omo

Local time:
    My System

For your list of programs that you have installed, do you use Java Auto Updater, MSN, or WildTangent Web Driver? If not then click Start< Control Panel< Add/Remove programs and remove those three programs from your system.

Then in HijackThis, select the following items:

• R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant hxxp://www.crawler.com/search/ie.aspx?tb_id=60338
    • O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
    • O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
    • O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAXPnP] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMax4PNP.exe
    • O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAX] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smax4.exe /tray
    • O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Synchronizer] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 11.0\Reader\AdobeCollabSync.exe"
    • O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [DWQueuedReporting] "c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\DW\dwtrig20.exe" -t (User 'SYSTEM')
    • O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [DWQueuedReporting] "c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\DW\dwtrig20.exe" -t (User 'Default user')
    • O20 - Winlogon Notify: ACNotify - ACNotify.dll (file missing)
    • O24 - Desktop Component 0: (no name) - (no file)
    Then click on the Fix checked button to remove those items from your computer. After that is done reboot the machine.
  10. Malnutrition

Malnutrition Member

Local time:
    My System

Disable all of your start up items except Avast.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast] "C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\avastUI.exe" /nogui

Next right click your desktop create a new folder.
    Gather all of your items that you would like to save and drag them to that folder.
    Save the items to a usb device or upload them here,
    http://www.filedropper.com/

Write down the link to the file.
    Create a new admin user on your machine.
    Delete your current profile.
    When asked if you want to keep the files and such from the old user profile decline.
    Reboot the machine log onto your new admin account and then download or unpack the items that you drug into the folder I mentioned.
    See how much space you are able to free up with this method.
  11. Malnutrition

Malnutrition Member

Local time:
    My System

12. chomolongma

Local time:
    My System

Hi Evan, I was able to delete only the WebTangent Driver from the Add/Remove list. Java Updater was not there in the list. When I tried to delete MSN, it gave me the following message:

Attached Files:

• MSN.JPG
      MSN.JPG
      File size:
      123.8 KB
      Views:
  13. chomolongma

Local time:
    My System

By the way, my RAM stick has arrived. I intend to install it on Thursday. Although I have detailed instructions regarding its installation. are there anything else from your side that I should learn about? I want to withhold any further tweaking until I install this memory card and see if it will make any difference. Suggest.
  14. Evan Omo

Local time:
    My System

While in the Add/Remove programs window click the button that says Add/Remove Windows Components and uncheck the checkboxes next to Indexing Service, MSN Explorer, and Windows Messenger. Then click the Next button. When the wizard finishes click the finish button to close the window.

After that is done, reboot the computer and then see if you can uninstall the MSN entry from Add/Remove Programs.
  15. chomolongma

Local time:
    My System

Well, Evan, I did did exactly what you instructed regarding removal of MSN. It still gives me the same message even after reboot and remove action. What gives?

By the way, my attempt at installing extra memory to my laptop was a complete failure. When I opened the memory compartment as instructed, I saw something green that looked like a memory card. There were no other slots visible. The instructions said I should push the latch away to the outside which will pop the card up from its base. Then I was to pluck it out of its socket. Well, I didn't find any such latch there. I did see something looking like a latch made of thin wire which I tried to push out. It got pushed but it didn't release the card. I didn't use any weding tool for fear it would scratch the connectors.

Next, I tried to take the whole back cover off in order to have a better visual. There were so many screws. I was afraid to completely take the cover off the base. I just peered inside and tried to find if there was another slot. Couldn't figure out anything. The Lenovo website says my model has two slots each having 512 meg memory. One slot is already filled. I want to add one more. How can I do that? My model is IBM ThinkPad Pentium M model R50. Please advise.