Creative Prodikeys DM problem

1. yappie

yappie New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    06:33
    My System

My dear friends,

I had just bought a prodikeys DM full version couple of days ago.
    Installed the software and hardware.
    Control panel detected the keyboard: creative prodikeys.
    But a msg :"prodikeys hardware is not detected or is in use by another application,pleasae connect prodikeys to your PS/2 keyboard port or close another applications' appear when i start prodikeys DM software. computer hangs instantly...

start wondering is this a piece of outdated junk that is being dumped into Asian market??

Tried changing settings in CMOS, control panel, reinstalling software, download update driver from official website... problem persist...
    Tried solution provided in official website... but it is for ME.. not XP...
    Tried contacting the tech support team, but so far not appear to be helpful...

i know i'm not the only one who faces the problem. kindly provide me with the solution if any of u out there have had similar problem solved before (besides sending to the shop... which is difficult for me)

my comp spec:
    -Phoenix motherboard, VIA chipset
    -Intel pentium4 1.8
    -SB audigy soundcard
    -256Mb RAM
    -windows XP

Please please please... i hope this will be helpful...

<my PC sys info:>

Processor=Intel (family 15 series) (Clock Speed: 1.8 GHz)
    Total RAM=224 MByte
    Operating System=Windows XP v5.1.2600
    Display=S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR (Microsoft Corporation)
    Multimedia=MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
    Multimedia 2=Standard Game Port
    Multimedia 3=Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
    Multimedia 4=Sound Blaster Audigy
    Multimedia 5=VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller (WDM)
    Multimedia 6=Audio Codecs
    Multimedia 7=Legacy Audio Drivers
    Multimedia 8=Media Control Devices
    Multimedia 9=Legacy Video Capture Devices
    Multimedia 10=Video Codecs
    Multimedia 11=Microsoft Kernel System Audio Device
    Multimedia 12=Microsoft Kernel Wave Audio Mixer
    Multimedia 13=Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio Compatibility Driver
    CD / DVD Drive=HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8520B
    CD / DVD Drive 2=LITE-ON DVD SOHD-16P9S
    Communication=Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem
  2. double_a_ron

double_a_ron New Member Elite Member

Local time:
    17:33
    My System

Hi there, Yappie, Welcome to the PC Help Forum.

We have an excellent team of tech experts and since this is not my area of expertise I recommend that you hang tight and wait until they post back to you. I'm confident they can help you get to the bottom of this.
  3. joe5

joe5 New Member Elite Member

Local time:
    23:33
    My System

Hya Yappie , all i can think of atm is to make sure you check if you use the correct keyboard PS/2 port , and not the mouse PS/2 port.

And did you uninstall the driver for the old keyboard? (and unplugged it incase it is an USB keyboard)
  4. yappie

Local time:
    My System

thanks for the kind reply.
    Still struggling with the thing...
    at least i feel warmer here with u all who is at least trying to figure out something for me...
    i have checked my connection, it is to ps2 port alright... no other keyboard connected. tried installing-unistall-reinstall the software but it didnt help. same problem.

the creative tech support people ask me whether i have updated my BIOS. i bought the pc 2 y ago....
    went to the official website but not available and not recommended. wat do u guys think? and some website even charge $ for BIOS update... isnt is suppose to be free for customers?
  5. Hengis

Hengis Proud PCHF'er since 2004 Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    22:33
    My System

Hey there Yappie, welcome to PCHF, can you post the link you tried for the bios update and let us look at it for you.
  6. yappie

Local time:
    My System

thanks.
    my motherboard is biostar U8668-D, probably ver 7.x (not sure, just recognise from back panel connector... the manual was general for all U8668-D)

finally found the correct website.

http://www.biostar.com.tw/support/bios/bios.php3?model=U8668-D%20v7.x

there are few BIOS update... regard to my problem with prodikeysDM, which one should i use?
    Anything i should be aware of?
    Will there be any problem if my motherboard is not the ver 7.x that i thot it is? no info regarding the version i have except the appearance of back panel connector which look like the one in manual...
  7. joe5

Local time:
    My System

Just to make sure , did you also check you didn't inserted it to the PS/2 mouse port? What color was it?
  8. yappie

Local time:
    My System

purple. quite sure connection is correct.
    searched thru creative official forum and found that it was not a new problem since early 2004. yet no solution offered... :O
  9. joe5

Local time:
    My System

Yup , purple is correct. And thats no fun.. But atleast the store will have to take it back , as it is apperantly an fault in the product/software.
  10. yappie

Local time:
    My System

after struggling for 2 weeks, finally decided to bring my comp & prodikeys to the shop far in another town... u know what was wrong?? a defective software... :nono: they replace me with a new one... and it worked.. wasted my time.

Now the keyboard can be used with creative bundled software, but having difficulty using it as a midi input for 3rd party software! (creative prodikey did not appear as a choice in MIDI input.... ) :computer_ oh man... never ending problem...

Anyway thanks guys for trying to help me with the problems. :coffee2: really appreciate it.
  11. Gypsee

Gypsee New Member

Local time:
    22:33
    My System

Hi Guys Not all is bad as it seems, I was having the same problem so i came on here to see if anyone had any info on how to work it out, but to my dismay there was nothing so if determination, i kept trying to solve the problem, Since the keyboard was in the right port and I kept getting the same result ( prodikeys hardware is not detected or in use by another application. Please connect prodikeys to your ps/2 port or close other apllication ) I was totally stupped. As I had removed my standard keyboard thinking that after installing the software for prodikeys it would automatically be installed but it was`nt.. I also knew that my keyboard was in the right port just like you..

So I tried everything from uninstall to reinstalling prodikeys and uninstalling tthe standard keyboard and rebooting my computer and windows would just install default files for my keyboard, even though i had prodikeys keyboard connected it was not showing creative prodikeys under the keyboard hardware.. So I tried to update the keyboard drivers under the hardware option but then i would get a message that the mouse ps/2 was there and so on and so on..

So i thought after 4 days of trying to work it out it could be a hardware conflict with XP windows.. I had a optical mouse connected to the mouse port so I turned of computer took out the optical mouse and put in a normal mouse into the port then I booted up computer and went to the keyboard driver and updated it to creative prodikeys and bravo the music side of this work now, i have not tried to put the optical mouse back on but eventually i will to see if it still conflicts with the keyboard.. So it worked for me I am hoping it will help others.. You learn to do 5 steps in IT and that is Make sure drivers are installed. Make sure that everything is connected correctly, Reinstall and uninstall drivers.. Make sure that the hardware is compatable with windows and then check for conflicts... Next time I will check for conflicts first *ye% Gypsee