Counter Strike 1.6 won't run on Windows 7 64bit

Solved
  1. JoshWebs

JoshWebs Member Silver Member

Local time:
    01:17
    My System

Hi Guys,

I recently tried to install & play Counter Strike 1.6, when I launch the game the circle next to the circle just loads and nothing loads??

I have tryed troubleshooting compatibility to Windows XP SP2, still no luck?

Please help guys

Thanks

JoshWebs
  2. vger

vger Posts: 74000 back in the VB days.... Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    19:17
    My System

Hello JoshWebs..

I am going to open your thread for more input from our gamers..

If you are going to test with XP i would suggest that you update that service package to SP3..
    JoshWebs likes this.
  3. MPNumB

MPNumB New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    02:17
    My System

You have a Steam'ed version of 1.6? If so try renaming "X:/X/Steam/Steamapps/<your_account_name>/Counter-Strike" folder to "Counter-Strike_backup" (but make sure steam is off when you do so). Also make sure that your Counter-Strike is up-to-date. In steam library click right mouse click on Counter-Strike, then choose "Properties", then tab "Updates", then select "Always keep this game up to date". Also you may go back into "General" tab, press "Set launch options", and make sure that line empty.

Now before you try launching your CS, make sure that you have your video driver up-to-date. Windows7 also generally has some issues with CS if you have more than 1 core processor. I'd suggest to open task manager, find "Steam.exe", and allow it to use, only 1CPU (In XP it's right mouse and "Set affinity..." - I'd suggest not first CPU, since that one is most busy, and using it, will result in lower frame rate). By making steam use only one CPU, that will force all games launched from steam to use the same CPU only (or at least should). This is good for 1.6, cause it's an old engine what doesn't have multi-core support. Sometimes windows7 and windows vista have a glitch, that they enforce all cores on the game, what results in game crashes, fail to load, and sometimes even speedhack glitch what may result in permanent VAC2 ban.

Now try launching the game, steam will recreate "X:/X/Steam/Steamapps/<your_account_name>/Counter-Strike" and force all settings to default (except video mod choice what is "Software", "OpenGL", and "Direct 3D"). If it won't work, I'd suggest to post this issue on steam forums in Counter-Strike section: Counter-Strike - Steam Users' Forums .
  4. JoshWebs

JoshWebs Member Silver Member

Local time:
    01:17
    My System

vger likes this.
  5. vger

vger Posts: 74000 back in the VB days.... Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    19:17
    My System

Glad you got it sorted...