computer keeps rebooting on start-up

Solved
  1. joost

joost New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    09:31
    My System

My computer keeps rebooting on start-up after I tried to upgrade the RAM-memory. I tried to add a 512 mb RAM-stick to my current computer which I took out of and old computer. I didn't think this would be a big deal but apparently it is. After I inserted the new RAM-memory, my computer began restarting continuously, never getting to the desktop-stage...this didn't change after I removed the new RAM-memory, it still keeps rebooting. I'm afraid I may have accidently brought in a virus or something with the new RAM-memory because the rebooting-problem was also the reason why I abandoned the old computer (the one I got the RAM-stick from)...I had the exact same restarting-problem on that computer (I didn't think the problem would be transferable through a RAM-stick)...I tried running windows in safe-mode but this doesn't work, it just keeps rebooting. I also tried to re-install windows and/or run a recovery-program from my windows xp-cd-rom, but this didn't work either...I get a blue screen and an error-message I don't understand...

Can anybody please tell me what could be the problem here? Dit I accidentally transport a virus or something? If I didn't provide enought information to diagnose the problem, what kind of information should I add? I'm sitting behind an different computer now and I (obviously) can't run any kind of diagnostic software on the computer that keeps rebooting on start-up.

2. driver_ian

driver_ian Security Team

Local time:
    08:31
    My System

Hi joost and welcome to the forum,
    Check that you have not accidentally dislodged any cables or connectors and check that the original RAM is seated properly.
    It would be useful if you could complete the System Specs section under Preferences on your Profile page this will allow our techs and members to see them without you having to type them each time.
    What type of RAM is the 512mb stick or what pc did it come from.

Thanks for your patience.

3. joost

Local time:
    My System

I've tried to 'check' some of the cables but nothing seems loose or anything (are there any cables in particular that are likely to cause a problem like this?). The second RAM-stick I added from the older computer was a PC2100 512 MB DDR stick (the other one that was already in my computer was a PC3200 512 MB DDR stick). I have downloaded memtest86 and booted my computer with it and by doing so I discovered that the older RAM-stick was very bad indeed (about 200.000 errors detected after about one minute of scanning. ) while the original RAM-stick did not have any erors on it whatsoever. I removed the older RAM-stick and am now running my computer only with the original RAM-stick but this has not changed the problem. I downloaded driver-fitness and booted my computer with that so I could check my hard-drive and the result was that my hard-drive apparently is error-free.

I tried to re-install windows xp or use the recovery-console but I simply can't do either of these two options. I constantly get the same error-message when I try this:

stop: 0x00000024 (0x001902FA, 0xF7967814, 0xF7967514, 0xF710CBBA)
    ntfs.sys - address F710CBBA base at F7100000, datestamp 3d6de5c1

so the problem appears to be with the ntfs.sys and I have no idea whatsoever how to fix this....

Anybody have any ideas as to how I could proceed? Or is there anything I have overlooked or not thought of yet?

4. driver_ian

driver_ian Security Team

Local time:
    My System

Running Chkdsk should fix the problem but you will need our original Windows disk as part of the procedure.
    Can you boot to Safe Mode? if you can type chkdsk c: /r in the run box from the start menu you will be prompted to reboot to complete the process.
    You can also run the command from the Recovery Console.
    Further reading can be found on the here, here and from microsoft here.

5. joost

Local time:
    My System

The big problem for me is that I can't run chkdsk... I can't boot to Safe Mode because when I try this option the computer just reboots again. I also can't acces the Recovery Console because when I click that option I get the blue screen and the ntfs.sys error-message. The same happens when I just try to re-install windows XP - when I choose that option I also immediately get the blue-screen and the ntfs.sys error-message mentioned above...

What do I do now? Are there any other ways to run something like chkdsk without needing the Recovery Console or the other options mentioned above??? In the first link they mentioned something about an ntfs boot disk but it said I would need a floppy disk, and I don't have does anymore (or the drive to put them in). Is it possible to make an ntfs boot CD-ROM? If so, how do I do this?

6. driver_ian

driver_ian Security Team

Local time:
    My System

Have you tried the suggestions made in the first link in post #4 above ?

If your pc does not have a Floppy drive you should be able to use either a CD or flash drive instead. You will have to set your pc to boot from from your chosen media choice.

7. joost

Local time:
    My System

I was able to find and download an ISO-image of an XP-recovery-console-disk that has the NTFS file disabled. This allowed me to finally access the recovery console and use chkdsk /R to repair the drive. Everything is working fine now again.

I'm very relieved. As the arabs say: "When God wants to make a poor man happy he takes away his only mule.........and then gives it back to him."

Thx. for the help!

8. driver_ian

driver_ian Security Team

Local time:
    My System

I'm glad you managed to get this fixed....
    could you post the link to this recovery console disk so that others may benefit in the future..
    then I'll mark this as Solved..

9. joost

Local time:
    My System

10. driver_ian

driver_ian Security Team

Local time:
    My System

Thanks for posting the link joost. See you around the forums.

Marked Solved and Closed