Compaq Presario v2000 to factory settings

1. cartandpeg

cartandpeg New Member Elite Member PCHF $Donator

Local time:
    06:30
    My System

Hi All,
    its been awhile,but how good does this site look,wtg all involved.

Can I take a Compaq Presario v2000 laptop,windows xp, back to factory settings,I have no discs,no manual,I am to recieve the comp tonight and my daughter wants it all back to as was.She is telling me its full of trojans etc and rather than go through the proccess of getting rid of them,I thought it might be easier to go fact settings.

I do have a genuine windows xp home edition disc,no serial number though,if I was to run that would that help or be of help.

Thank you

Cart
  2. madmatt2006

madmatt2006 Well-Known Member Elite Member PCHF $Donator

Local time:
    06:00
    My System

Hi Mate :)

could you get them to check if it has a folder on it here c:\windows\options\cabs alot of compaq pc have a copy of windows XP there for reinstall. Or you could use the XP home CD but you will need a CD key is there on a sticker on the laptop.
  3. cartandpeg

Local time:
    My System

Hi Matt,
    Duh me:rolleyes: I did not think of using xp disc with her key code,i will have look on comp when I get it.
    Thanks mate.
  4. cartandpeg

Local time:
    My System

Ok got comp and key # is there a specific way I reinstall windows I have had a quick look for tutorials but with no real joy.I put disc in went through routine of installing,though not sure if i got partition bit right,it all loads up,have no sound as to yet,doing updates at present and it says now and then that i have another user with the same name.So I think I might have messed up some where.

Thank you
  5. jay2

jay2 Games developer/shop owner Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    21:30
    My System

Ok, did you call the computer and the admin account the same name?
    If you go to start right click my computer, go to properties, Hardware then device manager, you can see if the sounds installed/on, if you have an !, you have problems.

If the name of the sound card under the speaker Icon is anything like HD Blah, Blah blah.
    Right click it and use the Uninstall option (Don't worry, it will re-install automatically). now reboot the laptop and let Windows re-install it.
  6. cartandpeg

Local time:
    My System

Thanks Jay, yes i could have called admin and comp same name,I will check what you said out after updates have completed.

Cheers
  7. madmatt2006

Local time:
    My System

HI mate with your sound and other hardware you will need to download and install all the drivers here Select software and drivers= you will need these drivers install because your XP is not a Compaq version with the drivers...what is the exact user error?
  8. cartandpeg

Local time:
    My System

Hi Matt:),
    Thanks for that about drivers,will suss that out,the user error uuummmmm not really sure as to yet as I have to go back over it again to take notice properly,sort of rushing it here,will slow down a bit.

Footnote: says, duplicate name exists on comp, as jay said maybe i doubled up on names.
  9. madmatt2006

Local time:
    My System

10. cartandpeg

Local time:
    My System

Mmmm could be Matt,when I went to resolving problem on link, it did mention putting in xp windows professional, as I have the xp home edition would it work the same.still doing updates loading anti viruses etc at present so cant get into the error prob just yet.

:)
  11. jay2

jay2 Games developer/shop owner Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    21:30
    My System

I didn't think of a NetBISO conflicks.
    Let us have the full error when possible so we can give you 100% sets to fix this issue.
  12. cartandpeg

Local time:
    My System

Ok,the error does not come up anymore and I have rebooted three times,how ever i went to driver link Select software and drivers

and downloaded the two exes,which was under title of Driver/Audio, one was for something that went to registry,the other was driver install,the registry one seems to have loaded ok,but the driver one goes through the motions then informs me after install that it failed,I have downloaded exe twice and rebooted,I have no yellow ? in sound when looking in device manager,in sounds and audio devices in control panel it still indicates no audio device,I assume i downloaded correct ones?

Only yellow i have in device manager are all the ones for other devices are blazing away.
  13. cartandpeg

Local time:
    My System

Ok I have sound,Matt the download from the link u gave me did not work,this link did work, cr.am browsing:

others had probs from the link and HP suggested this link,just let u know in case it comes in handy.

Ok couple of other problems,all things in Other Devices,device manager are still yellow,the icon for standbye when u go to shut comp down cannot be highlighted to use and when i scroll pages on the net they tend to look wavey,they dont scroll smooth.

Any clues guys.

Footnote: scrolling and standbye probs resolved I down loaded graphics driver for that,phew.

Footnote two. the only thing yellow now in other devices is :mass storage controller:, I uninstalled drivers for all,rebooted and the rest where found cept that one.

Hopefully one last thing after booting up and all desktop is loaded, I get a box come on the screen saying,Device driver installation wizard,its advises me installation is complete and i click on ok and box goes,this box was part of install for audio drivers,yet it comes up each tme i start comp?

Thank you guys its getting there.