"Checking C Drive for consistency..."

1. Decman

Decman New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    20:31
    My System

Hey guys.

This really isn't too much of a pressing problem, as I haven't bothered to do anything about it for two years, but my desktop is refusing to boot. It's only now having stumbled across its tired remains in my attic (don't worry, it's dust free ;)) that I feel like doing something about it.

Upon boot, I am greeted with the horrendous message "Checking C drive for consistency" and then I am told various file segments are 'unreadable'. Recently, the same thing happened to my laptop and I had the hard-drive replaced, but it suffered massive physical trauma and it was frequently blue-screening before the incident.

Is there anything I can do at all to solve this problem, aside from replace the hard-drive? Of course, the sentimentality changes nothing, but it would be a shame to lose the computer of my early teenage years to this. Deliberating so long probably hasn't helped. Very occasionally I reach the desktop after the disk-check, but it's unusably slow and nothing loads properly. I do have the recovery disc, but would that help at all without sacrificing data in the process?

Thanks guys. The speedy help you give out is much appreciated. Way better than those n00bs at PC Mech, dear gods...
  2. madmatt2006

madmatt2006 Well-Known Member Elite Member PCHF $Donator

Local time:
    05:01
    My System

Hello Decman :) this is a sure sign of a bad hard drive the only way you might be able to get it going again is to run a program like spinrite here's a link http://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm over the drive to see if it can fix the drive or patch it up. This only a might, not a 100% this will get it going again depending on how bad it is.
  3. zigzag3143

zigzag3143 Guest

Local time:
    15:31
    My System

This thread has expired and is now Closed.
    If you have a similar issue, please open a new thread in the appropriate forum.

If you feel this is in error feel free to Pm me as to why.

Ken J