CD Drive not accessible, "Incorrect Function"

Solved
  1. gam_crazy

gam_crazy New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    02:48
    My System

I'm pretty sure this happened to me before, but I have no idea what fixed it. But anyway, that's the error message I get when I try to open an RW disc on my comp. However, I can run an application off a disc and even view the files on it. Just can't look at an empty one or one with video files, not actually 100% sure there are videos on this one disc, but I think so. This started happening after trying to burn a DVD to a disc, which I've done without problem before, it just said the disc didn't have enough space(it did) and then I couldn't open any discs. I restarted my comp and it is still happening... I've also done some searching myself without any use.

There is NO recording tab
    I tried updating the driver
    I tried doing some thing in regedit where you delete two strings

Running Windows XP SP3

Anyone know how to fix this??
  2. Smokeycheech

Smokeycheech Well-Known Member Elite Member PCHF $Donator

Local time:
    07:48
    My System

Re: CD Drive not accessible, "Incorrect Funct

Hey Gam_Crazy, welcome back!

I have opened your thread to gain a techs input for you ;)

Someone will be with you as soon as they can!

Regards,

Smokeycheech :)
  3. DCiAdmin

DCiAdmin Well-Known Member

Local time:
    01:48
    My System

Hello gam crazy,

It's a long shot, but you might try the steps outlined in this blog to resolve your issue. I've successfully followed this instruction to get CD/DVD drives back to functioning. My errors were slightly different though. However, there is no harm in the trying.
  4. gam_crazy

Local time:
    My System

Na, I'm afraid that didn't help either...
    However, I have a little bit more info to share. This is kind of weird, I don't know exactly whats happening. The only thing I seem to not be able to do is, like, go into my computer and open a blank disc, you know how it usually just pops up but empty, I can't do that, Incorrect Function. Also, I can't just drop files onto a disc or erase the files on one, and these are RW by the way.
    The weird thing is, I can erase, burn, and rip discs through programs... I just put some files on a disc a little bit ago, and I'm forced to let the program itself erase previous files on the disc, because I can't do it myself. I can run discs just fine and even look at the files if there's anything on the disc in the first place. If I try to change the disc in any way through just windows explorer however, it acts as if it's a Read Only disc and I can't change it.

So, ummm... I guess this isn't really much of a problem, but I have no idea why it happened and it could be later.
  5. DCiAdmin

DCiAdmin Well-Known Member

Local time:
    01:48
    My System

It sounds like you've been using Windows itself to manage your DVD writing? That's not recommended, if that's been what you've been doing. We highly recommend IMGBurn or CDBurnerXP.

Is there anything more we can offer you?
  6. gam_crazy

Local time:
    My System

Thanx for the help, I guess there's not really anything to do, but it doesn't really seem to matter either way so it's ok. If I have further problems I'll make sure to start a new thread! lol
  7. Airman24

Airman24 New Member Elite Member

Local time:
    07:48
    My System

Hi Gam_crazy,

I will now mark as solved and look forward to seeing you around the forum`s....:)

This thread is now marked as Solved and has been closed. If the problem re-occurs, please start a new thread and if it has a bearing on your original thread then please state this and a member of staff will supply the link to the original post.

Regards,

Airman24