Can't send e-mail in Outlook 2007

1. mhart123

mhart123 New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    01:06
    My System

I have a client who is not able to send any e-mail from her Sony Vaio laptop while she is out of the office. She can't send from home, hotels, etc. She is able to receive e-mail just fine. She is using POP3 and SMTP to connect to her companies web hosting e-mail server in Outlook 2007. Running on this computer is Windows Business. She had Office 2007 on another laptop that was running windows XP pro and it worked fine both inside the office and out. I was able to setup her account and send and receive fine from my home computer using Windows Ultimate with Office 2003.
    Here is how it is currently setup on both my clients laptop (where it doesn't work) and my home computer (where it does work):

Tools->E-mail Accounts->View or change existing e-mail accounts
    Click "Next"
    Click "Change" button

Your Name: client_name
    E-mail Address:
    Incoming mail server (POP3): mail.company_name.org
    Outgoing mail server (SMTP): mail.company_name.org
    User Name:
    Password: *******
    Remember Password: (Checked)
    Log on using Secure Password Authentication (SPA): Unchecked

Click "More" button
    Under General Tab
    Mail Account: mail.company_name.org
    Other User Information
    Organization: (Blank)
    Reply E-mail: (Blank)

Outgoing Server Tab
    My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication (checked or unchecked, worked both ways)
    If checked, "Use same settings as my incoming mail server"

Connection Tab
    Connect using my local area network (LAN): Checked)

Advanced Tab
    (Nothing is checked)

POP3 is 110
    SMTP is 25
    Neither SSL boxes are checked.

I have been fighting with this for quite some time and can't make heads or tails of it. I recently just reformatted the computer and rebuilt it again and it is having the exact same problem. I am sure I am missing information that will help you help me so please ask away. I just want to get this fixed before it drives my client away. Please help!

2. DCiAdmin

DCiAdmin Well-Known Member

Local time:
    00:06
    My System

Welcome Mhart! We will do our best to help. PCHF has incredible members and excellent staff to provide support.

If you change the Outgoing Server tab to Require Authentication, but do not select "Use same settings...", and instead use Log on as - supply her e-mail address and password here, check to remember - does that make any difference?

3. mhart123

Local time:
    My System

Not sure why I havn't tried that. I will have her try that and let you know how it works out. Thanks!

4. elpmek

elpmek Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    06:06
    My System

Also when sending an email what error message do you get?

I know you've done it loads of times but re-check the spelling of the smtp server.

5. mhart123

Local time:
    My System

I am having her take a screen shot of the error message with the Send/Receive box open so we can see it all. I will post it in here for you to see once I receive it.

6. mhart123

Local time:
    My System

I checked several times and I have the SMTP correct. Even did a copy and past from the POP3 to make sure. Also checked for spaces after it just encase and their wasn't any.

7. mhart123

Local time:
    My System

I had her try this and that didn't help either. I am at a loss as to what it could be. I have already tried formating her computer back to factory and doing it again only to find the same problem.

8. elpmek

elpmek Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    06:06
    My System

Waiting on the error message but if booted in "Safe Mode with Networking" does it work?

9. mhart123

Local time:
    My System

She said she tried to take a screen shot but couldn't for some reason. I am going onsite with her again this Thursday and will get a screenshot of the error message for you. I will try the samemode with networking at that time as well.

10. DCiAdmin

Local time:
    My System

Mhart? Any updates for us?

11. mhart123

Local time:
    My System

I am working on setting up a remote connection time with her.

While I was on site, I am and was able to take her laptop and connect it wireless to 2 other outside networks and send and receive fine. If she tries it from home, a hotel, etc. it won't let her send e-mail. Do you think it could be a setting corresponding to the ISP?

12. DCiAdmin

Local time:
    My System

That's odd! BTW, are you saying that she uses her personal ISP at hotels with the same result? It's not the hotel's ISP?

Do you by any chance have a laptop that you could use to connect to her home ISP or maybe configure your home system to use her ISP and test with that?

I haven't ever heard of such a thing, but then again computers are majic and have no actual logic governing their actions.

13. mhart123

Local time:
    My System

She uses her ISP from home (different then the ISP for the office). From hotels, she uses what ever ISP they have. I have a laptop but her house is kinda far away from me. I drive 1 hour as it is to get to the job site, but she lives about 1-1 1/2 hours away from that in the other direction. I did try setting up my outlook on my personal computer to send and receive her e-mail and it worked fine.

14. DCiAdmin

Local time:
    My System

If her laptop won't send & receive from hotels as well as her home, it shouldn't be her home ISP. The issue should be on the laptop.

What's breaking that theory is that you were able to connect to 2 other services with her lappy and get good results.

I'll continue scratching my head. I just don't know. This is odd. Would you mind keeping in the loop on this one? I'll do my best to come up with some other options for you.

15. mhart123

Local time:
    My System

Her laptop will Receive e-mail from EVERY WHERE. It just won't Send from everywhere.

I have wondered if it was the laptop as well, I don't know what it could be tho. I did all the tests with her computer having 0 protection other then windows default firewall and windows defender. Keep in mind these have always been on when it works and when it doesn't so I don't think they are the problem. I am at a loss. The laptop is a SONY VAIO if that helps. Their is another employee that has a different model SONY VAIO and she can send and receive from home using the office e-mail system.