Can't remove older version of Java

1. dpschiek62a

dpschiek62a Member PCHF $Donator Bronze Member

Local time:
    00:36
    My System

Hello again,

My wife's desktop has been acting up for a few months, in that when using our preferred browser, Firefox, on certain websites, whether it's our online banking or CBS Sports, pages are not displaying much of anything. I can't believe I'm going to say this, but IE9 handles these fine. I've run all updates on Firefox (5) and the Add-ons and finally found what I think may either be the problem or a symptom thereof. Upon checking my Java version, I found an older version lurking. I can't remove it, either, as I get an error code reading, "Error 1719. the Windows Installer Service could not be accessed..." I went to Services and the Installer was turned off. I started it and turned it to Automatic and restarted but to no avail. I downloaded the msiserver.zip and merged it, but still get the error message. Lastly, I downloaded the JavaRa app from your site and tried removing it that way, but again, it's still there :smash:. Any help you guys can lend would be outstanding. Please let me know what type of info you need or scans you need me to run and post. Didn't see a sticky on it, but I apologize if I missed an pre-work.

Regards,
    dpschiek62a
  2. apemax17

apemax17 Tech support and Linux user Staff Member Moderator Elite Member

Local time:
    08:36
    My System

Hello and welcome back dpschiek62a.:)

I have marked your thread open to attract the attention of one of our techs. So someone will be with you shortly.
  3. Firefox264

Firefox264 Intel inside Elite Member

Local time:
    17:36
    My System

Since this is a problem with Firefox i might be able to help. what is the current Firefox version you are using? if you haven't got the latest stable version download it from the link below

Also what are the addons you use on Firefox as some addons like Adblock, No script can block java from running. Also programs like zone alarm can also interfere with java running.

The next thing is previous versions of java can prevent the current version from running so to remove old versions log in as administrator (if the uninstall button is greyed out that means you have to run as administrator) and click on Tools> Addons > remove all previous versions of java.
    Also when you go to addons if you see multiple versions of the java consoles remove it by clicking uninstall. Another thing is run firefox in safe mode which will disable addons temporarily and see the problem still exists.

Download Firefox 5.0 - FileHippo.com
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Java#Windows_installation_issues
  4. vger

vger Posts: 74000 back in the VB days.... Staff Member Moderator Elite Member

Local time:
    03:36
    My System

JMH likes this.
  5. Firefox264

Local time:
    My System

Please let us know of the solution
  6. dpschiek62a

Local time:
    My System

Very sorry for the delay in response, as I've been out of town and not able to work on this machine. I am running Firefox 5.0 with all Add-ons and Plug-ins updated. I use all of the same on my work laptop and have no problems on the same sites that won't behave on this pc. Big surprise, the work machine is running XP SP3 and the pc is running Vista SP2 :BangHead:.

Firefox 264, I am running Adblock, NoScript and Better Privacy, but again, I use those same ones on my other machine with no problems. My wife would shed no tears if I removed them, as she positively hates NoScript, but there's still the issue of not being able to remove the older version of Java from my installed programs. I have administrator rights, but I do not see an option to "Remove previous versions of Java" under Tools > Add-ons.

As far as security goes, I have AVG Free Edition 2011 and have run multiple full MBAM scans with nothing showing up to my novice eye. Anything else you guys can think of would be most appreciated. I should be around all week and will be much more expedient with my responses.

Regards,
    dpschiek62a
  7. Firefox264

Local time:
    My System

Did you try the removal methods suggested by Vger and Myself ? Try running Firefox with add-ons disabled.
  8. dpschiek62a

Local time:
    My System

The websites that weren't functioning correctly now work perfectly with NoScript disabled, so you were spot on there! Not sure why the same websites that run on my other machine with the same Firefox and Add-ons work differently on this machine, but I've gotten use to Vista doing things its own way over the years. I'd still love to get rid of that old version of Java from my installed programs, as everything I've ever heard says that could be a sign of further issues. I have tried the standard uninstall from Control Panel > Installed Programs multiple times, which is what the Java link on vger's response suggested. That's when I get the error message ("Error 1719. the Windows Installer Service could not be accessed..."). Thank you for the quick response!

Regards,
    dpschiek62a
  9. Firefox264

Local time:
    My System

Sorry for the delay

That's good that the websites are functioning now. Ya Vista has some major issues alright. Just found this awesome tool to remove old versions of java try it but create a system restore point before running it . The program is JavaRa, you can download it from the link below

[​IMG]
    Software | RaProducts
    zigzag3143 likes this.
  10. Firefox264

Local time:
    My System

11. dpschiek62a

Local time:
    My System

Hey Firefox264,

I tried the JavaRa program before posting originally and, unfortunately, it did not work. As of today, I still have the rogue old version of Java. That said, the machine seems to be no worse for wear. I just hate things not being nice and tidy and read in the past that older versions of Java hanging around could be signs of an infection.

Thanks,
    dpschiek62a
  12. vger

vger Posts: 74000 back in the VB days.... Staff Member Moderator Elite Member

Local time:
    03:36
    My System

Then do a virus scan,this would be the prudent thing to do....:)
  13. Firefox264

Local time:
    My System

Hi dpschiek62a

sorry for the late reply. do a virus scan as Vger suggested and let us know.

EDIT:This thread that has been has not been responded to and or no updates, has now expired and therefore been closed.
    If you were unable to post due to reasons beyond your control then VM me, (Vger) as I closed the thread and I will re-open it for you.