Can't Open links within a website

1. sms1295

sms1295 New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    11:07
    My System

I'm not able to go to a another website when the link is within another website. The things might happen depending on what is to be open. The first is that window is open with the last url I opened, but nothing happens. I've attached an example (Issue-1a) when I've tried to view a game cast off ESPN.com. The second is a window is opened, the URL is displayed; but nothing again happens. I appears to be hung. If I click the stop button and do a reload, the website will display. I've attache an example (Issue-1b) for this one.

I use IE7 and Windows XP Pro SP3. I posted this with Firefox because in IE7 when I tried t attach documents I had first issue I described.

Any help would be appriciated,

sms1295

Attached Files:

2. DCiAdmin

DCiAdmin Here to Help!

Local time:
    My System

Welcome SMS1295.

When there are issues in IE, I tend to lean towards malware being an issue. If you don't mind, would you please review the PreWork link in my signature, follow the steps and post the requested logs back in this thread?

Please UPDATE Malwarebytes PRIOR to selecting FULL scan. I'll relocate your thread to the [NEW] HijackThis! Logs forum for review by our Security team once you have posted the requested logs.

If malware isn't your issue, the Security team will relocate your thread back into the general forums for further assistance.

Thanks! Merry Christmas!
  3. Crush

Crush Tech Member Tech Member Elite Member mvp

Local time:
    12:07
    My System

sms1295,

My personal welcome to PCHF and I hope your holiday festivities were much fun. This infection probably isn't so much fun.

I saw this post earlier as well. Looks like DCi beat me to the punch though. Taking these steps will fix you right up

Please follow these instructions in order, and thoroughly,
    in order for our Security Team to assist you more quickly

Please note: It is common for a computer to appear free from malware even when the malware has not been completely removed. Even if your computer appears to be clean after following the Prework, to avoid futher problems, or even reinfection, please post the requested logs in order to have a staff member verify that all traces are removed. Thank you for your cooperation.​

First: read the following article, and follow suggestions/instructions if required

Warnings Regarding P2P Sharing Sites

Next Please Do the Following:

Set System and Hidden files and folders to show:

For Vista:

• Click the [​IMG] (Vista Icon) and click on Computer.
    • Click Organize and click on Folder and Search Options.
    • Click on the View tab.
    • Un-check the Hide Protected Operating System Files (Recommended) box.
    • Under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders.
    • If you see a warning message, click Yes.
    • Click Apply.
    • Click OK.
    For XP:
    • Right-Click My Computer choose Explore, click on Tools, Folder Options.
    • Click the View tab.
    • Place a tick next to Display content of System folders, (answer OK to warnings)
    • Under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders.
    • Click Apply.
    • Click OK.
    For 98/2000/ME:
    • Double-click the My Computer icon
    • Click on the View menu, click Folder Options
    • Advanced Settings box, under the "Hidden files" folder, click Show all files.
    • Click Apply.
    • Click OK.
    Disable System Restore to prevent re-infection.
    (If you have/use it.)

Vista:

• Click the [​IMG] (Vista Icon) and right click on Computer and select Properties.
    • Click on System Protection (click OK if you are prompted with a warning).
    • Un-check all of the boxes in the list of Available Disks for Automatic Restore Points.
    • Click Apply.
    • Click OK.
    WinXP.
    • Click the Start button.
    • Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
    • On the System Restore tab, check Turn off System Restore or Turn off System Restore on all drives.
    WinME.
    • Click Start > Settings > Control Panel.
    • Double-click the System icon.
    • If the System icon is not visible, click View all Control Panel options to display it.
    • On the Performance tab, click File System.
    • On the Troubleshooting tab check Disable System Restore.
    • Click OK. Click Yes, when you are prompted to restart Windows.

Download and Run HijackThis! (HJT) from Trend Micro

First download the newest version of HijackThis! from either
    Bleeping Computers or
    Trend Micro

Save the file to your desktop, when you run HJT make sure that you install it into it's own folder, otherwise it will install as a temp location and will not give you accurate information.

Click on Run Scanner and Save a Log File
    When it has finished, a text file will have been saved, copy and paste the entire log back into your thread. Do not attempt to fix anything yourself with HijackThis! it can cause very serious damage to your computer and programs

After that:

Run both these programs.

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from one of these places:

|MG| Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.31

http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

* Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
    * If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
    * Once the program has loaded, navigate to the Update tab and click Check For Updates. It will then download the latest updates for you
    * Now navigate back to the Scan tab
    * Select "Perform Full Scan", then click Scan.
    * The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
    * When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
    * Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
    * When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
    * The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
    * Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply along with a fresh HijackThis log.

Please Note:
    If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediately.

=====================================================================================

=====================================================================================

Ok. Lets download ComboFix.exe. This will give me a better view to the files running and also hidden on your computer and also those in the registry..Please download from one of these webpages .

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe
    http://www.forospyware.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe
    http://subs.geekstogo.com/ComboFix.exe

* IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop

Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right-click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools.

Double-click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.

As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.Recovery Console can be installed from your disc if you have Vista if you wish.

Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.

**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.

[​IMG]

Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

[​IMG]

Click on Yes to continue scanning for malware.

When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please include the HJT ran before everything, MBAM Full Scan logs, C:\ComboFix.txt and the HJT ran after everything in your next reply.
  4. sms1295

Local time:
    My System

I'm a little surprised what I found when I ran Malwarebytes because I I've been running it over the past several weeks along with SuperAntispyware program. I was in a situation a couple of weeks ago where I could just get to my desktop and that was it. To make a long story short one day able to get where I could run program by going first booting into Safemode and the restarting. I ran Malwarebytes and SuperAntispware and found a ton of stuff which I removed which made my PC useable again. The issue we are working on now is that last one. Opps got more winded than I intended.

I've attached the logs you requested. Please let me know what you think. View attachment ComboFix_log_12-26-08.txt

View attachment mbam-log-2008-12-26 (08-51-56).txt

View attachment hijackthis.log
  5. Crush

Local time:
    My System

How are you running after all that? It seems to me all the malware has been removed. There is nothing abnormal in your HJT.
  6. sms1295

Local time:
    My System

Same issue. If I need to provide additional info or example, please let me know.

Thank you for your help,

sms1295
  7. Crush

Local time:
    My System

You can have HJT remove the following:

Ensure these are the only entries checked and HJT is the only peogram open then click Fix Now. If that does not resolve your issue I have another route we can take

Let's run some online scanners:

Visit this link:
    Get Trend Micro Internet Security (TrialPay)

Click Get HouseCall Free Scan
    Accept the Terms Of Use
    Click Launch HouseCall

If your Java applet is updated to the version needed it will then prompt you to download the HouseCall Kernel
    Click Starting HouseCall

It will then pop up with a rather long winded screen outlining some infomation about the HouseCall Program.

A Prompt should come up asking you if you wish to run HouseCall
    Click Run

You will then be presented with a screen that has 3 tabs Quick Select, Extended Selct, and Encyclopedia.

You want Extended Select

Make sure:

Scan All Folders On This Computer is selected
    and Check This Computer For Spyware,...etc. is checked off
    Click Next

Click over to the Results tab and wait for the scan to finish.

Let me know about any infections and then remove any infections detected with HouseCall.

If you have any questions or need me to explain anything in more detail let me know
  8. sms1295

Local time:
    My System

The results were 'HouseCall did not find any potential threats to your computer.' What is out next step?

Thanks for helping,

sms1295
  9. Crush

Local time:
    My System

Let's try this:

Free online antivirus. Download ActiveScan 2.0 and clean your PC. Panda Security

Panda ActiveScan is a great freebie utility. I've used it in the past with great success. When you open the link it will come up with two options. The free version and then the paid version.

You want the free version obviously so click Scan My PC Now. It will prompt you to download Panda ActiveScan 2.0. Please do so. Let it run, it shouldn't take all that long. Then post back here with the results
  10. sms1295

Local time:
    My System

I ran the scan and have attached the log of the scan. The Rootkit/Booto.C and Trj/CI.A I have removed. I tried again and still the same issue.

Thanks,

Attached Files:

11. Crush

Local time:
    My System

This does not happen in Firefox, correct?
  12. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Cap'n Crunch Tech Member Elite Member PCHF $Donator

Local time:
    09:07
    My System

Hello sms1295.

Try going to tools>internet options>programs> then toward the bottom click on the "manage add-ons" button.

Now you can highlight an add-on and choose to disable it by checking the box at the bottom.

Try that with each item and see if disabling any one of them cures your issue.

Failing that I would actually delete the shockwave add-on as you can easily enough reinstall it later.

I don't use IE for anything other than updates but on a friends computer I hunted for several days to find the glitch it had and it turned out to be cured by removing and reinstalling the shockwave.
  13. sms1295

Local time:
    My System

Crush...This issue doesn't happen in Firefox.

LoneWolf...I disable all the plug-in and still the same issue.

I use ESPN Gamecast as one example, but the issue also happens if a link within a webpage opens another link. In this case the window is open with the link. I just click on the 'X' for stop loading and hit reset and the page now will load.

Any additional help would be appreciated,

sms1295
  14. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Cap'n Crunch Tech Member Elite Member PCHF $Donator

Local time:
    09:07
    My System

Have you tried tools>internet options>advanced> "reset" button?

Did you also remove the shockwave add-on?
  15. sms1295

Local time:
    My System

I remove shockwave and the issue was not corrected.