can't download anything when using IE 10 or 11 ??

1. SKOOTERBUM

SKOOTERBUM Member PCHF $Donator Gold Member

Local time:
    13:49
    My System

Hello,

I'm helping a friend with his laptop. His problem is, when in any version of IE, he can't get anything to download. Anything like Adobe reader, Java, attachments in emails, Antivirus downloads, or anything else. I disabled all the ad-on's, and it didn't help. I started IE in administrator mode, and no help. I reset IE to the default settings, and no help.

Yes Adobe Reader and Java are installed, and up to date. As well as his Webroot antivirus program. I was just using them as examples.

When we open the Google Chrome browser, there are no problems downloading anything. I have uninstalled the IE 11 browser, and have the same problems with IE 10, so it makes no known difference which version of IE is being used.

His system is an ASUSTeK G74Sx Laptop, running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, service pack 1. It has all the current Microsoft updates, and the ASAUS updates installed.

My friend is not well versed with keeping his computer up to date, and is not aware of all the garbage that can be picked up on the net. His computer is not used for any undesirable web browsing, but he is not aware of all the ad-on's that can be unknowingly installed with any download.

I ran a full scan with his antivirus program, and it showed nothing. I also ran Malwarebytes Antimalware, and there was a bunch of tracking garbage I removed. I also installed Spywareblaster on his system. I used CCleaner and cleaned things up with that, and I ran Defraggler. The problem still exists.

He wasn't able to tell me if it started acting up after any particular download, or update. I've tried everything I'm capable of doing on my own, and was of little help. So if there is anyone here that is willing to help, it would be appreciated !!

Thank you,
  2. SKOOTERBUM

SKOOTERBUM Member PCHF $Donator Gold Member

Local time:
    13:49
    My System

Gotta love it !!

Sorry for wasting space here.........I read a little more on problems with IE, and I ended up deleting IE 10 and 11, and went back to IE 9, and everything works as it should.

Why is Microsoft putting programs out here that screws up peoples PC's ??

I have an awful lot to learn about these things, obviously!!!!!!

Even though I figured this one out with no help from the pro's here, THANKS FOR THIS FORUM !! You have helped me out in the past, and I'm sure I'll be back asking for your help in the future............
  3. Hengis

Hengis Proud PCHF'er since 2004 Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    19:49
    My System

Hi Ron

You have wasted no space here :)

Keep the PC updated with MS security patches and you should be ok. On the other hand, using Chrome or Firefox could be a better 'solution' :mrgreen: