BSOD xF4 ntoskrnl.exe

Solved
  1. Kieran McClure

Kieran McClure New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    13:42
    My System

hello forum, this is my first post, and i have been searching around for a long time to try and find how to fix this,

this doesn't happen very regularly.. but its a real pain when it does, everything freezes, it will just repeat a noise, almost like a clicking hum..

it only seems to freeze when i'm watching soemthing on youtube.. and either playing a game, which suggested to me it may be my graphics card,

but i downloaded blue screen viewer.. and it says its something to do with windows, i am a complete novice, so any help would be greatly appriciated,

when i look in blue screen viewer it also has the codes

xf4
    x7a
    x3b

but it always seems to be the xf4 code that causes the most issues, once again thank you!

AMD 1100T 6 core
    Gigabyte 990fx-ud7 AM3+ mobo
    8gb 2x4 corsair dominator 1600mhz
    ATI 6970
    850watt corsair gold power supply
    120gb corsair force ssd
    win 7 64bit

if you need any more information on how to help me, i will be more than happy to provide it, this was a custom pc build, and this is the only problem i have, so i would like to get it fixed, many thanks!

vger Posts: 74000 back in the VB days.... Staff Member Moderator Elite Member

Local time:
    08:42
    My System

3. Kieran McClure

Local time:
    My System

Hmpfffff, i cant attach them for some reason, i have windows updates i need to do, but every time i try to install them it says installation failed, so i tried the NET framework in the guide you sent me, it said that failed aswell, so i really don't know what to do... i cant install any updates, and even though i'm the administrator on my computer, it wont let me upload the DMP files.. this is really starting to get on my nerves,

please, i will almost do anything to get this problem fixed, thanks for your help!
  4. Hengis

Hengis Proud PCHF'er since 2004 Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    My System

Please make sure you're following our process here: http://www.pchelpforum.com/blue-scr...en-death-how-post-your-blue-screen-death.html

Can't Post Your Logs?

Occasionally the maximum upload size for an attachment is exceeded due to the length of the logs.

If you encounter an error when posting please post them zipped as an attachment. To zip the file into an uploadable archive you can use either WinRAR or 7-Zip.

Still having difficulty uploading files?
    upload them to Megaupload or Rapidshare and post the link.
    zigzag3143 likes this.
  5. Kieran McClure

Local time:
    My System

You don't understand, i cant download the file collector because i don't have NET framework 4.0, i cant download the NET framework because i keep on getting an error when trying to download it.
  6. vger

Local time:
    My System

You do have the previous Net framework versions,correct?
  7. Kieran McClure

Local time:
    My System

i'm not sure, is there any way to check...?
  8. vger

Local time:
    My System

Go to your control panel and check under programs and features,it should be listed in the list if it is installed..
  9. Kieran McClure

Local time:
    My System

ok so i tried installing NEt framework directly, using the link in the guide on collecting the minidump files, it gave me a log on how / why it failed

OS Version = 6.1.7601, Platform 2, Service Pack 1
    OS Description = Windows 7 - x64 Service Pack 1

CommandLine = D:\3a5c1fd3b339ccc47ee66e\\Setup.exe /x86 /x64 /ia64 /web
    TimeZone = GMT Daylight Time
    Initial LCID = 1033

Using Simultaneous Download and Install mechanism

Operation: Repairing

Package Name = Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup
    Package Version = 4.0.30319

User Experience Data Collection Policy: AlwaysUploaded

Number of applicable items: 4

if you can make sense of any of that please do, but i am really quite stuck
  10. Kieran McClure

Local time:
    My System

ok so i managed to install the file collector and attached it, i hope ive done this correctly, thank you in advance for your time and patience!
  11. zigzag3143

zigzag3143 Guest

Local time:
    My System

These were related to a critical process being terminated. My best guess is your Symantec. I woul remove and replace with Microsoft security essentials

http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN

Virus, Spyware & Malware Protection | Microsoft Security Essentials

Also please run a system file check

Run a system file check to verify and repair your system files.
    To do this type cmd in search, then right click to run as administrator, then
    SFC /SCANNOW

Read here for more information SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker - Windows 7 Forums

Let us know the results from the report at the end.

12. Kieran McClure

Local time:
    My System

ok, so i have completely uninstalled norton + symantec,

now i guess i just have to wait for this problem to happen again, is there any way to try and force the computer the BSOD..?

also please find attatched the file from the SFC scan, it says it didn't find any errors.. but i guess it might be usefull..?

but if that's it, and i hope it is, many many thanks to you!

(if there is any way to give +rep, please let me know, as you have been very helpful, and patient with me!
    _______________________________________________________________________________
    EDIT - also, the windows security essentials, will that cover me for everything, viruses..? infections basically all the coverage i'll need..?
  13. zigzag3143

zigzag3143 Guest

Local time:
    My System

My pleasure KM.

Earlier you said "it only seems to freeze when i'm watching soemthing on youtube.. and either playing a game, which suggested to me it may be my graphics card,"

I would start there

I would look in event viewer as well

There are several ways to find what the problem is. The best is to go into event viewer (type eventvwr in search). Event viewer (local) and look for the critical errors listed in the last day, week, etc. Then go to the windows log>application tab. Finally the windows Logs>system tabs.

You want to look for critical errors (they have red in the left column ).

When you find them you want to look for critical errors that say app hang, app crash, or anything that relates to the problem.

When you find them please note the event ID, and the source codes and tell us what they are.

14. Kieran McClure

Local time:
    My System

ok, so i think i'm looking at the right thing, windows logs>application, and to my horror if this is the right place there are quite a few of them, i have scanned through all of them, and here are all the different types and there explinations,

all that are in RED are all the errors.... but i can only seem to find literally 1 critical error anywhere and that this one here -

41 -

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

8194 -

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface. hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied.
    . This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process.

Operation:
    Gathering Writer Data

Context:
    Writer Class Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}
    Writer Name: System Writer
    Writer Instance ID: {23affdcf-7d3b-4a29-9074-cb28923b9e2d}

4107 -

Failed extract of third-party root list from auto update cab at: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootstl.cab> with error: A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.

3002 -

The performance counter explain text string value in the registry is not formatted correctly. The malformed string is 8. The first DWORD in the Data section contains the index value to the malformed string while the second and third DWORDs in the Data section contain the last valid index values.

10 -

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

3012 -

The performance strings in the Performance registry value is corrupted when process Performance extension counter provider. The BaseIndex value from the Performance registry is the first DWORD in the Data section, LastCounter value is the second DWORD in the Data section, and LastHelp value is the third DWORD in the Data section.

3011 -

Unloading the performance counter strings for service .NET Data Provider for Oracle (.NET Data Provider for Oracle) failed. The first DWORD in the Data section contains the error code.

15. Kieran McClure

Local time:
    My System

ok so it just blue screened again, not so good :/

i attatched the PHCF thing again, but i don't actually know if it has the new one it it, , incase it shows some of the information

here are the codes it gave me on the blue screen.

KERNAL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

STOP 0X0000007A

svr.sys