BSOD on HP Envy 14 Laptop 'IGDPMD64.SYS' Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area

Solved
  1. pwscott

pwscott Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    23:43
    My System

Hi there. Have read all the post instructions I think and fully filled out my hardware profile of this HP Laptop.

Problem started suddenly where opening various programs including Firefox or the installer to update my Norton 360 to Premium will cause immediate BSOD with 'IGDPMD64.SYS' Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area listed on the screen.

Have config'd PC to collect crash dump and used GrabAll to upload the one that was already there.

Have tried reinstalling what looks to be latest video driver from HP website, although it's kind of old....no help.
    Just removed only Roxio program I saw...do not have Nero at all on this machine currently.

Have gone through device manager and checked for driver updates for everything pretty much.

Also note that on bootup I still get short (2) beeps that I never used to get.

Your help and guidance would be very much appreciated here.
    THANKS! Let me know if you need any other info. Machine is kept very clean with Norton 360, SpyBot S&D and SuperAntiSpyware scans.

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 50
    BCP1: FFFFF8817E276360
    BCP2: 0000000000000000
    BCP3: FFFFF88005BA6A18
    BCP4: 0000000000000005
    OS Version: 6_1_7601
    Service Pack: 1_0
    Product: 768_1

Attached Files:

2. rshaffer61

rshaffer61 Well-Known Member Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    22:43
    My System

Seems like the error is caused by a Windows update that changes the graphic driver which in turn causes the BSOD's.
    I found this fix researching your issue and it seems to be one way to correct the problem.

3. pwscott

Local time:
    My System

Thanks for you reply. I am in the process of working through the suggested action.
    My laptop has (2) Display Adapters so that it can run in two different modes.
    This is what I found in Device Manager under >Display Adapters>:
    -Mobile Intel (R) HD Graphics
    -Radeon (TM) HD 6630M

I did Properties > Driver on each and there was no 'roll back' offered, so I uninstalled each of them in the order they appear. There was a 'tick' box to "Delete the driver from system" or something and I did NOT check that time.

I then rebooted and got a low res display with a message that said I needed to restart to make the changes...so I did...got a normal looking display. I then tested by running Firefox (which seems to make the PC crash and BSOD each time, as does the Skype installer and some other programs). I immediately got a BSOD.

So now I have just uninstalled 'both' adapters and chose the "Delete the driver".
    Note that each of them were showing "ATI 4/12/2011 Version 8.830.6.2000" driver before doing the uninstall.

The PC rebooted into a low res display and loaded the "Standard VGA Driver".
    That's where I stand right now...the standard VGA driver from 2006 is installed. If I ask the system to "Update the driver" in Device Manager > Properties > Driver > Update Driver it tells me that the Standard VGA Driver is right for the machine and most current.

Guessing I need to hit HP's website and download the latest driver they have for my exact model huh?

Any further guidance very much appreciated.

Thanks,
    phil

4. rshaffer61

Local time:
    My System

Instead of trying HP lets try it this way.

Download DriverMax and have it scan your system. It will open their website with all the out of date drivers you can update. With the free version you can update only 2 drivers per day so if you have a lot of them it will take a few days to get everything updated. I have been using it for about 4 months now and like it better then any other utility out there for keeping my drivers up to date.
    If you want you can post screenshots of all the drivers in the list that need to be updated and I will suggest in what order to get them.
  5. mkey82

mkey82 Je ne sais quois Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    05:43
    My System

Mate, if you don't mind my interjection, I definitively recommend going through the HP site for driver updates, such as in this particular case.
    Many times users will have issues if they install drivers which do not come from the laptop manufacturer's website.
    While I don't doubt the abilities of DriverMax, when you do things manually you can seldom go wrong.
  6. rshaffer61

Local time:
    My System

I would normally agree mkey82 but I think we have gone that route already although it wouldn't hurt to try that first before using Drivermax. I don't mind your help at all and welcome the second set of eyes anytime you would like.Thanks for the assistance. *ye%
    mkey82 likes this.
  7. pwscott

Local time:
    My System

Using DriverMax now...Am getting latest AMD Radeon 600 6700 driver. Will let you know outcome- thinking I will def buy one year use of DriverMax.
  8. rshaffer61

Local time:
    My System

Yes I am curious if it resolves the video issue. By chance was that the only driver it found out of date?
  9. pwscott

Local time:
    My System

There were a bunch of drivers out of date. It offered me recent version of the Standard VGA Adapater driver, I chose ther options and chose latest version of AMD 6600 6700 driver from 9/2013.
    After reboot here is what I have in Device Manager:
    DM1.png
    Below is what it finds overall now:

1.png 2.png 3.png
  10. rshaffer61

Local time:
    My System

Grrrr I wish you had posted the drivers list first before downloading anything. That Synaptics SmBus driver should have been the first one to update. It helps the motherboard identify and use all the other chipsets correctly. This might be the reason it can't use the video driver use installed. Now you will have to wait till tomorrow to download and install it since you already got two of them today.
  11. pwscott

Local time:
    My System

No, I will pay the $29 for a year of DriverMax now. Just tell me what you suggest at this point.
  12. rshaffer61

Local time:
    My System

First and most important is that Smbus. Download it by itself and install it before proceeding to any others. Once downloaded and installed please reboot and see if the video driver is now working.
  13. pwscott

Local time:
    My System

Smbus update installed. Display adapter same as before with yellow '!' and standard VGA below/

(I really appreciate your good help here BTW- thank you)
  14. rshaffer61

Local time:
    My System

Not a problem and now you can get all the other drivers. Just remember to reboot once you have them installed.
  15. pwscott

Local time:
    My System

DO I just leave the video driver/s like that or reinstall it or what?