Black Screen on my Gateway Laptop

1. Mee

Mee New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    14:09
    My System

Hi,
    My gateway laptop turns on but will not kick windows vista into action. The screen remains black although the power is on. The laptop has been crashing since I got it but this had greatly reduced since that time. The black screen occurred when I plugged in my ME-740 series external hard drive. (The hard drive itself will no longer allow me access onto it when used from another computer.) Also the fan doesn't seem to be operating as it once was.

How do I get my computer operational again and fix the problem with the black screen? Is there anything I can do about the external hard drive not being readable.
    Many Thanks,
  2. Rustys

Rustys Active Member Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    07:09
    My System

If it is under warranty call gateway?

Increase the brightness of the screen?

Try an external monitor?
    Check to see if the display is bad of the video card bad.

Plug the power in and remove the battery?
  3. Airman24

Airman24 New Member Elite Member

Local time:
    My System

4. Mee

Local time:
    My System

Hi Rustys,
    When Gateway was originally contact in Januay 2010 (the computer was purchased in October 2009) regarding the sudden shut downs, it was discovered the model was refurbished. Gateway gave referrals for their parties who deal with gateway refurbished computers. This group advised they only over a 30 day warranty which had expired in February 2009. They advised they could not help. Full price was paid for the computer was purchased new while traveling in the States.

(Airman24, this computer is not the same unit with the potential virus threat.)

Attempted with no success;
    Shutting the unit down and removing the battery, connecting to an external monitor.

Will attempt;
    Adjusting brightness, checking video card. (How can either be done when the computer will not successfully boot up? I have attempted booting under Ubuntu with no luck.

While attempting to discover cause of problem, I have:
    1. Discovered the fan does not run as much if at all. The fan used to work very hard to cool the unit which had ran quite warm to hot in the past. The computer itself is also not producing as much heat.

2. Disconnected one of the four snaps from the board. The upper and lower portions are together but have come away from the board. The snap is located to the left of the intel chip and almost beside the internal hard drive. I understand there is a glue which acts in place of sawdering which can be used. Perhaps you might know what this glue is called.

Many Thanks Rustys
  5. Airman24

Local time:
    My System

Hi Mee,

Many thanks for confirming this I have now marked your thread open for technical support and someone will be along as soon as possible.

@ Rustys,Thanks for your in put :)

Regards,

Airman24 :)
  6. monkeymagic

monkeymagic guinness gives you strength Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    My System

Hi Mee, are you sure the laptop starts up. can you hear windows music as it loads up. If you have attached an external monitor and can't get a display it could be your graphics card. Do you know if your card is attached to the motherboard or separate. If its on the board you will need a new motherboard.
  7. Mee

Local time:
    My System

Hi Monkey Majic,
    There are no beep sounds when the computer is turned on. I believe the graphic card is intergrated.

Also when the computer did it's final crash it took along my attached external hard drive. Any ideas on how to retreive that devices data information aswell??

(thanks Airmain24)
  8. DCiAdmin

DCiAdmin Well-Known Member

Local time:
    08:09
    My System

If there are no beeps at all, mee, I believe your motherboard has gone. :(

Are you not able to connect the external HDD to another computer to retrieve your data?
  9. Rustys

Rustys Active Member Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    07:09
    My System

Is the data still stored on the HDD (C Drive)? If you do decide to have the motherboard replaced pull it. Do any lights come on the system? Have to agree with the rest the mother board is dead.

When I found out that I paid full price for a refurbished computer the next thing would have done was BBB. You better beleive I have and gotten results.
  10. Mee

Local time:
    My System

The external HDD had years of backup information from the gateway & my previous computer (toshiba) that I'd gathered over years. Unfortunately most of the items were stored on the drive to open up space on the computers I don't have additional copies of most of the items). Is there a chance for the external drive information to be retreived? I have tied it on other computers and even used a find and mount program but everything comes up empty. When attached to another computer it asks if I want to format the unit. If the information is lost is the unit still good for storage of new data?

All the startup lights come on with the computer it's just the monitor which doesn't provide any picture or sound.

I'd actually advised them that I would go to the BBB. A friend's experience with the BBB in the past lead me to believe that they were more symbolic than effective. I suspect now too much time has laps for the BBB to get involved.

Is it more cost effective at this point to replace the motherboard or to scrap it and save up for a new computer?
  11. DCiAdmin

Local time:
    My System

I have found inexpensive but good laptops at the Dell Outlet. They offer refurb (yes, stay away from those!), ordered but not picked up, and scratch & dent equipment. I have ordered 3 scratch & dents and have yet to find either the scrath or dent. Been very pleased with my purchases!

It may be that just the enclosure unit on your external has failed. You can remove the HDD from the enclosure and connect it to any computer using an IDE/SATA adapter. This *should* let you pull data from the drive IF the drive itself hasn't failed.
  12. Mee

Local time:
    My System

Thanks DC,
    I will look into it.
  13. Airman24

Local time:
    My System

Hello Mee,

I wondered if you have an update for us as yet?

Regards,

Airman24 :)
  14. Mee

Local time:
    My System

Sorry Airman & DCiAdmin,
    I've been so busy in other areas that I haven't as yet tested the hard drive with the use of the IDE/SAPA adapter. Will definite advise once I've got it done. Hope to get to it sometime this week.

Had the computer looked at. It's been confirmed the mother board is gone. Thinking to contact Gateway to see if motherboard can be purchased at reduce price. Also strongly considering scratch and dent option. Does anyone know if Lenovo has a scratch and dent center and it's contact information?
  15. DCiAdmin

Local time:
    My System

Hello Mee :)

I'm so sorry to hear of the bad luck with the Gateway lappy. I have located an outlet for Lenovo's though. Hope the Lenovo Outlet has what you're looking for.

Is there anything more we can offer you here?