BIOS update issue Acer Aspire 5100

Solved
  1. Surimex

Surimex New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    13:02
    My System

Hello guys,
    sorry but iam new with posting problems in a forum. I tried to post my problem here but couldn´t. I hope Iam not doing anything wrong here.

I have an Acer Aspire 5100 too, vista premium preinstalled. Everything worked fine, till I did this stupid thing. I installed Xp (Ive allready done it, and did it again because is faster. Problem, Shutsdown after a while). I thought its the bios that needed to be updated. So I did it in windows. It went well till it shutted down! I knew what kind of trouble that might lead to. And now it wont boot, nothing happens except that the fan is running and the cd drive light goes on a while and stops. I tried USB flashing, but dont read usb stick, I copied the Bios on cd but nothing, pulled out the memory, starts it, nothing. No sounds. Only, the screen blinked a little, black screen. Can someone please help me?????? What can I do?
    I would very well appreciate it.

2. bf2gamer

bf2gamer New Member Gold Member

Local time:
    18:02
    My System

Re: Acer Aspire 5100 Help

Hello Surmiex and welcome to the PCHF forum.

It appears you have posted a reply to an origional question instead of making a new thread. I will make a new thread for you and place this post inside it in the motherboards section, where our Techs can take a look at your issue.

Would you mind posting us your system specifications? If you are having trouble finding them, please download this program and post your results. http://www.pchelpforum.com/your-pc-detailed-info/15456-system-spec.html.

bf2gamer

3. georgeks

georgeks Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Member

Local time:
    My System

Hi

Just so there's no misunderstanding: It doesn't look good.:BangHead:

That stated try to reset the CMOS.

It may be tricky, as it appears that it's soldered on the mainboard.

A fairly good guide on how to take it apart (up to a point) can be found here:

Taking apart Acer Aspire 5100 laptop >> Inside my laptop

4. kraftwerka

kraftwerka New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    12:02
    My System

Well if windows was shutting down randomly it sounds like a hardware or settings issue. Were you getting the BOS (blue screen)? Now when you turn it on- are you able to enter the bios? I hear that flashing a bios from windows should be avoided. Sounds like you had a bad flash. Unplug your power cable and clear your cmos then try to boot again see if you can get into your bios.

5. georgeks

georgeks Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Member

Local time:
    My System

"I hear that flashing a bios from windows should be avoided": Due to users being less and less computer savvy, MOST new BIOS for notebooks are WinBIOS, meaning can only be updated from within Windows environment.

Blue Screen:Surimex reports no screen (black screen).

It is obvious that something has gone wrong, but what can that be?:

The BIOS update process was terminated prematurely.
    The system was shut down (by the user) while was rebooting-and that is what happens on many cases.
    The same Model comes on AMD/Intel platforms, and an AMD BIOS was flashed on an Intel model or vice versa.

Corrupt BIOS file, I frankly much doubt that, as the WinBIOS executes a self-test before initializing (at least on HP/Compaq systems).

What I have seen only twice, is if an Antivirus/Antispyware is running, it can disrupt the process and lead to a system with symptoms similar to those described by Surimex.

6. Surimex

Local time:
    My System

Thanks guys for your responses,

Ive heard a lot about clearing the Cmos. What Ive read about it, Is that not a tricky thing to do? I dont think you just pull out a cable or something and plugged it in again. Really, I dont even know where its situated, or what. And dont want to go pull thing out of my lap since Iam not that experienced. Can someone please explain me about Clearing the Cmos? I like to see whether it will work, or do the clearing myself. As you can see I want to do anything possible to get this thing back to work before I could put money in it or to the garbage.

Thanks

7. vger

vger Posts: 74000 back in the VB days.... Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    12:02
    My System

bump!

8. DIIRE

DIIRE Well-Known Member Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    05:02
    My System

Hi Surimax - Welcome to PCHF!!!

If you pull apart your laptop you should have a battery somewhere on the motherboard. Pull that out and leave it out for around 5mins and it should reset cmos. You will know if it's been reset because it will prompt you to enter the date and time when you reboot and in your situation you will actually see something on the screen. I haven't had a chance to look at your exact model but generally that should work.

How old is your laptop? Is it still under warranty? If so, then don't try any of the above just return it under warranty and get it fixed.

If that fails then as Georgeks said it doesn't look good.

You said the after you installed XP the laptop would just shutdown. Did you get any error messages, etc or did it just turn off?

Do you have recovery discs to reinstall Vista? If not, is the recovery partition still intact or did you delete it when you reinstalled windows?

9. Surimex

Local time:
    My System

Hi DIIRE,
    thanks for responding and sorry that Iam responding so late. Ive put my laptop away, thought to return it to acer for repair. Although my warranty has expired. But Iam so glad that you´ve responded. I saw the battery but will wait to get it off because Ive just found something that might be usefull to try. How to rescue your Acer 7720G from bios update failure - Notebook Forums and Laptop Discussion

Ill try it and come back with a response.

My lap is 2 years old, no warranty. Its with vista preinstalled. When I installed Xp, its just shutdown, no messages, nothing. I thought maybe cause of the heat. Thats when I tried updating the BIOS in Windows (Now I see its stupid) thought it might solve it. But during update my laptop shutted down. After that, trouble.
    I deleted the partition when I installed Xp, had formatted it. I tried the vista disc, Xp disc, backup disc but nothing happened.

10. Surimex

Local time:
    My System

I burned the bios files onto the cd. Nothing happens. I think I disconnected the battery and then soldered it again. I dont see nothing. The same thing, no screen, fan is on and cd drive goes on for a while as if it reads and then stops. What can I do? Is there a way to fix it? Please.

11. Surimex

Local time:
    My System

Hello,
    I dont know if anyone is here to help me but from what Ive seen from the web, my motherboard is toast. That is what I think. I dont know what to do since Iam not that good at hardwares.

No booting, No sceen, No beep or sound.
    Just the fan very active at the beginning and then normal. Also Cd-rom active, as if reading the cd or looking for cds, then off.

This is my last post here, if I dont get a replay.

Thanks for everything

12. DCiAdmin

DCiAdmin Well-Known Member

Local time:
    11:02
    My System

Surimex,

As the others have stated before me, if resetting the CMOS didn't produce a miracle, then your troubles are larger than we can address at the forum.

I suggest that you contact your manufacturer.

13. Surimex

Local time:
    My System

Hello,
    Thanks for replaying. I just wanted a conformation. Well then I will start looking for another Lap what I think hope to buy till next year. I will try to get it fix but it doesnt matter.

Thank you guys for everything

Ive read some threads here, some are solved. I would say, Keep up the good work.

Thank you

14. DCiAdmin

DCiAdmin Well-Known Member

Local time:
    11:02
    My System

Thanks Surimex! I wish we could have solved your issue :)

Best of luck with the manufacturer if you choose to go that route. When you're ready to select your next system, be sure to stop by here for recommendations.

See you around the forum :)

15. Surimex

Local time:
    My System

I sure will do.:mrgreen:

Thanks