Battery will not charge - HP Pavilion DV7

Solved
  1. Blumpkin

Blumpkin New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    05:12
    My System

I have a real problem with my laptop, it will not charge. While plugged in the LED at the cord comes on and the icon on my desktop says it's charging but yet the battery continues to drain. It will not charge while off either, even though the light says it is charging.

I've already replaced both the AC adapter and battery and the problem continues. I've contacted HP customer support, which was a waste of time (just got somebody that could barely speak english and kept trying to sell me more stuff). I just can't figure this one out.

The computer is an HP Pavilion dv7-1260us, Vista 64 bit OS. I've had it for 14 months so it's just beyond warranty.

2. Hengis

Hengis Proud PCHF'er since 2004 Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    13:12
    My System

3. Blumpkin

Local time:
    My System

I just ran the HP Battery Check. The status says Health: Good.

Update: A moment after posting this it changed to Health: Invalid, then back to Health: Good.

4. Blumpkin

Local time:
    My System

I also ran the HP diagnostic utility. When I selcted hardware devices both the AC adapter and battery said functioning normal. I just shut my laptop back down too, as it is down to 10% battery life (still plugged in for whatever good that will do it).

5. Nitwit

Nitwit Active Member Elite Member PCHF $Donator

Local time:
    08:12
    My System

Hi Blumpkin!Check through your help guides for battery issues and you should be able to find this:

Edit:Broken link removed...(moderator airman24)

During a calibration cycle, the battery must be completely charged and then completely discharged. In order for the battery to discharge completely, disable the power management properties. Follow the steps below to calibrate the battery.
    Note

• It is a good idea to print this page before proceeding.
    1. Connect the AC adapter and allow the battery to charge until the battery charge light [​IMG] turns off.
    2. Disconnect the AC adapter.
    3. [​IMG]Click here to open Power Options .
    4. In the left sidebar, click Create a power plan .
    5. To change the plan name, type Calibrate in the Plan name box. Click Next .
    6. In the On battery column, select Never for all topics.
    7. Click Create to submit your changes and force the battery to consistently discharge.
    8. Allow the battery to discharge completely until the HP notebook PC shuts down.
      The battery is now calibrated, and the battery level reading on the power meter should be accurate.
    9. Connect the AC adapter and restart the computer.
    10. After calibration, return to the Power Options dialog box (Step 3) and select the default power plan setting​

According to what I saw in there an out of calibration battery could cause incorrect readings in the battery check.But you should absolutely check out this section and see if your symptoms show up in there........
    Hope this helps you!.........Nit........

6. Blumpkin

Local time:
    My System

I'll give it a try if the battery actually charges. If this new battery doesn't charge with the laptop turned off I'll just be as screwed. :lucky:

7. Xeno1

Xeno1 Well-Known Member Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    07:12
    My System

Is the battery being drained even when you have it plugged in?

Nevermind, I just reread your first post and it says that it does. It sounds like the jack on the computer may be bad. Usually you can check it by moving the plug around and seeing if it starts charging again. Just be careful if you do that that you don't move it around too hard or you could end up breaking it more.

8. Nitwit

Local time:
    My System

If the indicator says its charging,I would be more apt to believe that than anything......You might also want to change your power settings if you run on battery alot.......Good luck,will be watching..............Nit..

9. Nitwit

Local time:
    My System

Blumpkin,are we to understand that your computer is trying to run on battery even when you are plugged into AC outlet?That just doesn't sound normal.If that's what is going on I would have to think you aren't making a good connection from cable to power input connector.If that connection is good,then I would have to believe there is a charging circuit to the battery inside the guts of the machine that is not working.I'm just an electrician here using basic electrical knowledge,and I would defer you to the professional advice of the technicians on this site.But if I've helped......

10. DCiAdmin

DCiAdmin Well-Known Member

Local time:
    07:12
    My System

Hello Blumpkin,

Any chance that your 1st call to HP's Customer Support about this issue was *within* the warranty period? If so, I believe that if the issue is reported prior to warranty expiration, it might still receive warranty coverage. It's a long shot, but may be worth checking into.

11. Blumpkin

Local time:
    My System

Well, I'm back at square one. When I shut down yesterday it was with the hopes that the new battery would charge with the laptop off. The charging LED was on and everything. When I came back to it this morning it had turned off, leading me to belive it had charged, but no, the battery has completely died and will not charge. I removed the AC adapter and reconnected it to no joy.

Thanks for all the help, but I belive I'm going to have to shell out the cash to have it looked at. It's like there's some power vampire attached to the the thing. I know it doesn't sound like it makes sense, but that's why I'm so perplexed. I don't belive it's a loose connection, or a problem with the battery or AC adapter (unless HP is shipping faulty ones).

12. Nitwit

Local time:
    My System

Hey Blumpkin,sorry to here that.....Machine does run on AC power,machine had run on battery(until it went dead),but battery isn't charging even tho the charging LED is lit......1:If it ran on battery,terminals must be making contact,so it should be able to accept and get a charge.2:Seems only thing left is faulty charging circuit?.......Hopefully the staff here has a better idea that would assist you.

13. Blumpkin

Local time:
    My System

Freaking sweet. HP now belives it's the motherboard and wants $400 to repair it. So far I'll be in $500 between repairs, a new battery and new AC adapter. Fantastic. :BangHead:

14. Hengis

Hengis Proud PCHF'er since 2004 Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    13:12
    My System

Not worth it IMHO, with the price of laptops thesedays.

15. Blumpkin

Local time:
    My System

That's what I was thinking. I'm obviously never going to buy another HP product again after this experience though. Are there any manufacturers that still have good US based customer support?