BAD_POOL_CALLER - XP Home w/SP3

1. HogWild

HogWild New Member PCHF $Donator Bronze Member

Local time:
    09:38
    My System

Hey Team!

Looking for a little help here. I'm trying to help a friend who has a Dell Dimension E520 running WinXP Home SP3 which was running great until mid-day on Saturday, Aug 1st. He had walked off for a bit and when he came back he had the BSOD staring at him. No software or driver updates had been performed so this is a bit of a mistry to me.

On boot up, Windows is displayed to the point of saying "Starting Windows" and after a few seconds posts a BSOD with the following:

BAD_Pool_Caller

Stop: 0x000000c2 (0x00000043, 0xDAF3B000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

All attempts to boot into Safe Mode have resulted with the same message regardless of "Last Known Good...." or Safe Mode with networking, etc.

I have tried to boot up using the XP CD so that I could get to the recovery console but that errors out too.

I have run a complete sweep of diagnostic tests to include RAM and HD tests and everything passes.

I have a backup image I can restore using Acronis but that was taken back on June 15 and I'd really like to be able to keep the current data he has so he doesn't loose 6 weeks of productivity.

Please help if you can. Any suggestions would be greatly appreicated!

Thanks
    HogWild

2. Crush

Crush Active Member

Local time:
    My System

Hogwild,

Please have a look at the BSOD Posting link in my signature. This will guide you through the process for posting MiniDump files here on the forums.

Please try and get as many as possible so they can be assessed and compared

3. HogWild

Local time:
    My System

Crush,

Thanks for the quick reply. I do have a question though. If the system won't boot windows up then how can I get to the minidumps? I'm having to use another PC so that I could access this forum.

Thanks
    HogWild

4. HogWild

Local time:
    My System

BTW, I tried once again to boot from XP Home CD and made it to the point of "Starting Windows" and I got a BSOD.

"A problem has been detected and window has been shut down to previent damage to your computer"

STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF7A8A524, 0x0000034, ............)

5. Crush

Crush Active Member

Local time:
    My System

HogWild,

Argh you're right! Sorry. I'm going to refer to a more seasoned BSOD Tech than I on this one

6. HogWild

Local time:
    My System

NP. I also had a version of BART PE but it failed on boot up with the same error.

Thanks

7. HogWild

Local time:
    My System

Crush,

Whew, What a long night BUT I was able to get the minidump files.

I ended up installing another SATA drive I had XP loaded on and booting up with it and had the original drive as an additional drive which I could then pull the files over.

You indicated to give you as many as possible since the start of the problem so I'm attaching the first 5 from Saturday.

I will be very interested to see if someone can help figure out what the heck caused all of this. I'm guessing most likely a driver issue but who knows; I'm dragging at this point.

Thanks
    HogWild

Attached Files:

8. Crush

Crush Active Member

Local time:
    My System

HogWild,

Thank you for the mountain of Minidumps. They all confirm the same thing, all of your BSOD issues seem to be cause by this process: logonui.exe

Which handles the Remote Desktop connection to another machine. Can you confirm this happens in this situation?