Not open for further replies.
  1. Bernadine

Bernadine Member Gold Member

Local time:
    19:06
    My System

Hi,

I'm hoping maybe Crush is still around.

Things have been well with my computer until recently. It seems the latest versions of AVG and Comodo Firewall don't like each other much. See below for link or:
    When I shut the computer down, I get an error window that cfp.exe is not responding. When I close that down, the computer takes a lonnng time to close. I wrote to the Comodo forum and things have only gotten worse. First, they told me to make Exclusions in AVG Resident Shield. I did, no better. They said the problem is in the order in which AVG and Comodo were installed. I don't understand that because they've been living together just fine until recently. They wanted me to uninstall AVG, save the settings and Quarantine, restart the computer and then reinstall AVG. They said the uninstaller would ask me what setting to save. So warily, I used the AVG uninstaller and it only asked if I wanted to save the toolbar but not the settings nor the Quarantine. Foolishly, I continued to uninstall it. When I closed the computer, the error message didn't appear, but when I went to reinstall AVG, it wouldn't let me because it says there is a conflict with Comodo Anti-virus. But I never installed Comodo Anti-virus only their Firewall. The latest they told me to forget about AVG and use Avira Anti-virus. But I've never even heard of that. So, now I don't have an anti-virus program on here and don't know what to do.

Needing some help (again),
    Thanks,
    Bernadine

Here is the full question/reply with Comodo forum.

https://forums.comodo.com/empty-t63757.0.html;new;topicseen#new

2. Crush

Crush Active Member

Local time:
    22:06
    My System

Crush to the rescue :)

Along the same lines as Comodo forums I would suggest ditching AVG. Are you set on keeping either?

zigzag3143 likes this.
  3. Bernadine

Local time:
    My System

Hi Crush,

Yes, to the rescue!

No, other than being used to AVG and Comodo, I'm not tied to either one. I just want my computer safe. I do like the AVG Toolbar, it's still on here, but if it's a problem I will get rid of it too. Let's see for review, XP, Firefox, Thunderbird, Malwarebites, Spybot, Ad-Aware, Secunia, AVG Anti-virus, Comodo Firewall, WiFi which I think is still unprotected. Key Scrambler for encryption and TrustConnect just when I'm paying bills. All up-to-date free versions, and I know you recommend only free versions of programs.

So what would you recommend to replace the AVG Anti-virus and/or Comodo Firewall?

How safe is my computer without any virus scan on it now? What/where shouldn't I do/go until we get things right again?

After all your work to help me, and my work to understand, all brought down by a little error message. :(

Thanks,
    Bernadine

4. Crush

Crush Active Member

Local time:
    My System

Hi Bernadine,

From personal experience AVG has gone downhill in recent months. I would recommend Avast Free which actually includes the Avast WebRep plugin which is similar to what AVG does.

I would ditch Spybot and Ad-Aware as they are redundant and may actually interfere with programs.

Spybot was recently given poor results by mvps.org and therefore they are no longer recommending it. See here

Most people don't understand how to use TeaTimer and that feature can cause more problems than it's worth.

TeaTimer monitors changes to certain critical keys in Windows registry but does not indicate if the change is normal or a modification made by a malware infection.

The user must have an understanding of the registry and how TeaTimer works in order to make informed decisions to allow or deny the detected changes.

Additionally, TeaTimer may conflict with other security tools which do a much better job of protecting your computer and in some cases it will even prevent disinfection of malware by those tools.

We can also fix the Wifi issue if you like.

I wouldn't do anything involving personal data or passwords until you get an antivirus on the machine.

You could also add something like SpywareBlaster for passive protection. See the tutorial here on how to install, configure and use it:
    http://www.pchelpforum.com/security...-spywareblaster-apply-passive-protection.html

JMH likes this.
  5. Bernadine

Local time:
    My System

Hi Crush,

Too bad about AVG, I think that's just about when I started having problems. I will uninstall the rest of AVG then. Is it better to use the AVG uninstall or the uninstall that's in Control Panel? And then I'll install Avast.

"ditch Spybot and Ad-Aware" Again use the same uninstaller as with AVG? So SpywareBlaster does the same thing? So then I'll add it. And Malwarebytes is still good? I did try to read about TeaTimer, but I was in way over my head. Glug, glug!!

As for the WiFi, I don't know if there is anything that can be done, it's locked in a closet in the apartment complex. We did a lot of testing and there was one port that was open. I don't remember but I kept all of our posts and I could go back and look it up.

We put all this on and now I'm a little nervous taking it off. And you've never led me wrong, so, as soon as you let me know which way is best to uninstall those programs, well here I go again.

Thanks,
    Bernadine
    (this time at least I'm not #!##!# or seriously :?)

6. Crush

Crush Active Member

Local time:
    My System

Hi,

Try the default uninstall from Add/Remove Programs first, see where that gets you.

Yup. Through Add/Remove Programs.

No, Spywareblaster is passive protection. If you read the tutorial it goes into detail about what the program does. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will pick up what Spybot does as well.

The best :)

Ah yes. I do recall the Wifi issues we had last time with it locked up. Oh well.

7. Bernadine

Local time:
    My System

Hi Crush,

Uninstalled AVG, AdAware and Spybot.
    Installed SpywareBlaster.
    Most everything went well, though I had to try 3 times for the SpywareBlaster update to be successful.

I'm not quite sure what passive means with SpaywareBlaster. So here's my guess: I have to download updates and since I couldn't find a Scan button, it runs all the time in the background? Update weekly, monthly?

There is still an AVG folder in Program Files with AVG 8, 9, and 10 in it. I can just delete that folder?

What to do with Comodo Firewall? Remove? Replace, if so with what? The couple times I've shut the computer down recently, there's been no problem.

Oh and somehow I've lost most of the volume on my volume control. Something weird always has to happen. I turned the volume control on the speakers all the way up, and with the volume control on the computer half way up I can barely hear any sound. With the volume control on the computer all the way up, it's just a bit louder than before this glitch. Before the volume control on the speakers was about midway, and on the computer about 1/4 from the bottom.

Oh and I meant to ask, how's school coming along?

Thanks,
    Bernadine

8. Crush

Crush Active Member

Local time:
    My System

Hi Bernadine,
    Passive protection means it blocks malicious sites and activex objects. It doesn't scan per se. The free version you must update manually. I woud update and reapply protection (for the unprotected items) every week

Did you uninstall it?

Keep it :)
    Do you mean when using Windows?

I finished about 10 months ago, still looking for work. But I start an internship Monday :)

9. Bernadine

Local time:
    My System

Hi Crush,

I still don't get how to do the quote thing, so I'll do it this way.

"Passive protection means it blocks malicious sites and activex objects. It doesn't scan per se."
    Like a road block.

"I woud update and reapply protection (for the unprotected items) every week"
    I've added it to my reminder of things to do.

"Did you uninstall it?" (AVG)
    Yes.

"Do you mean when using Windows?"
    I'm not sure what your question means. The overall volume has decreased, but I hadn't done anything with the volume control. I turned the Volume up and the sounds were loud when I closed and opened the computer so it doesn't seem like it's a speaker problem. I also checked the connections to the speakers and they are all in OK. The speakers are up so loud I can hear them hum. When I played a game that makes some sounds, I got very little sound and what I get is broken. I tried playing a clip from the radio, it played but again the volume was turned way up. I tried some .wav and some .mid sounds and they played, but again the sound level was low even with the volume turned up. The computer has been off since I last wrote and nothing changed with the way the volume is acting. I had to turn the volume on the speakers down to about where it was before, the hum was getting to me. Now the sounds are barely audible even with the volume on the Play Control all the way up. Except I played one .mid and in the middle of the play time the volume went up to a good level and was clear and then went back down again. I played the same one several more times and it did it a few times more. I'm not sure if that answers your question.

I noticed I am now a Silver Member, does that mean I ask better questions or when I ask enough questions I'll get a gold star?

I'm a little late with Congrats, but I'll say them anyway - Congratulations, and I know you will find a job soon. Have fun with the Internship!

Thanks,
    Bernadine

10. Crush

Crush Active Member

Local time:
    My System

Hi Bernadine,

Precisely. Also, you're good since you've uninstalled AVG.

I will get another Tech to look at the sound issue.

It has to do with post count. See this thread for more information:
    http://www.pchelpforum.com/important-information/13070-site-ranks.html

Any other questions or issues?

11. Bernadine

Local time:
    My System

Hi Crush,

Just what to do with the AVG folder that didn't get deleted with the uninstall.

It seems like programs get better and worse over time, like with AVG.
    Now that we have my computer security all well again, would it be a good idea to check back in a couple times a year to see if my security programs are doing OK, or should I just wait till a problem arises, like with AVG vs. Comodo?

Thanks,
    Bernadine

12. Crush

Crush Active Member

Local time:
    My System

Hi Bernadine,

You can delete it, that's fine. It certainly doesn't hurt to do a check every couple months, even without issue. Like you noted, things change over time. Hopefully you can avoid things like this issue that way

13. Bernadine

Local time:
    My System

Hi Crush,

I knew there was another question lurking around. I also have LastPass to remember passwords. I'm glad I have something to help with it, but I'm wondering if there is something better?

Thanks,
    Bernadine

14. Hengis

Hengis Proud PCHF'er since 2004 Tech Member Elite Member

Local time:
    03:06
    My System

15. Crush

Crush Active Member

Local time:
    My System