Audio ads playing in background when nothings running

1. adbyerly

adbyerly New Member Bronze Member

Local time:
    00:14
    My System

First off, I'm not very computer savy at all. I have an Acer Aspire 5720Z laptop with Windows Vista. When no programs are open on my computer, audio advertisments will play once in a while. How can I fix this? I've run Malwarebytes and it finds things everytime, yet the problem persists. Also, Malwarebytes pops up a message every once in a while that says "harmful programs have been detected" and then I'm given the option to quarantine or ignore. I have also run Trend Micro House Call with similar results.

Thanks so much!

2. SecuPro

SecuPro ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ Elite Member

Local time:
    01:14
    My System

3. adbyerly

Local time:
    My System

Alright, here are the results of the Prework. Thanks!

Attached Files:

4. SecuPro

SecuPro ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ Elite Member

Local time:
    01:14
    My System

Well you are definitely infected. A mod will reallocate this thread and a security member will guide you.

5. DCiAdmin

DCiAdmin Well-Known Member

Local time:
    18:14
    My System

Relocated to Security. Please have patience. Someone from the PCHF Security team will be along to review and recommend.

6. Crush

Crush Active Member

Local time:
    19:14
    My System

Hi,

Please attach the Malwarebytes logs in addition to the following:

I see that Viewpoint is installed. Viewpoint, Viewpoint Manager, Viewpoint Media Player are Viewpoint components which are installed as a side effect of installing other software, most notably AOL and AOL Instant Messenger (AIM). Viewpoint Manager is responsible for managing and updating Viewpoint Media Player's components. You can disable this using the Viewpoint Manager Control Panel found in the Windows Control Panel menu. By selecting Disable auto-updating for the Viewpoint Manager -- the player will no longer attempt to check for updates. Anything that is installed without your consent is suspect. Read what Viewpoint says and make your own decision.
    To provide a satisfying consumer experience and to operate effectively, the Viewpoint Media Player periodically sends information to servers at Viewpoint. Each installation of the Viewpoint Media Player is identifiable to Viewpoint via a Customer Unique Identifier (CUID), an alphanumeric identifier embedded in the Viewpoint Media Player. The Viewpoint Media Player randomly generates the CUID during installation and uses it to indicate a unique installation of the product. A CUID is never connected to a user's name, email address, or other personal contact information. CUIDs are used for the sole purpose of filtering redundant information. Each of these information exchanges occurs anonymously.

Viewpoint Manager is considered as foistware instead of malware since it is installed without user's approval but doesn't spy or do anything "bad". This may change, read Viewpoint to Plunge Into Adware.

I recommend that you remove the Viewpoint products; however, decide for yourself. To uninstall the the Viewpoint components (Viewpoint, Viewpoint Manager, Viewpoint Media Player):

• Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
    • In Control Panel, double-click Add or Remove Programs.
    • In Add or Remove Programs, highlight >>Viewpoint component<< , click Remove.
    • Do the same for each Viewpoint component.
    ======

Download Combofix from any of the links below, and save it to your desktop.

Link 1
    Link 2
    Link 3

When saving ComboFix rename it to PCHelpForum.exe to prevent it from being blocked by malware.

Refer to this image:

To prevent your anti-virus application interfering with ComboFix we need to disable it. See here for a tutorial regarding how to do so if you are unsure.
    • Close any open windows and double click PCHelpForum.exe to run it.

You will see the following image:
    [​IMG]

Click I Agree to start the program.

ComboFix will then extract the necessary files and you will see this:

[​IMG]

As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. This will not occur in Windows Vista and 7

It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.

If you did not have it installed, you will see the prompt below. Choose YES.

[​IMG]

Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.

**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.

Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

[​IMG]

Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.

When finished, it will produce a report for you. Please post the contents of the log (C:\ComboFix.txt).

Leave your computer alone while ComboFix is running. ComboFix will restart your computer if malware is found; allow it to do so.

Note: Please Do NOT mouseclick combofix's window while its running because it may call it to stall.

7. adbyerly

Local time:
    My System

After running ComboFix, the problem persists. Attached is the log for Malwarebytes, I can't seem to find the the log for ComboFix. I saved the .exe to the desktop as PCHelpForum.exe, ran the program, my computer restarted, and the log is no where to be found.

Attached Files:

8. Crush

Crush Active Member

Local time:
    My System

I don't see a log.

The combofix log can be found at C:\ComboFix.txt

9. adbyerly

Local time:
    My System

Sorry, the Malwarebytes one is attached to the previous post now. Yep, that's exactly where I looked, though I can't find it.

10. Crush

Crush Active Member

Local time:
    My System

Try running ComboFix again

11. adbyerly

Local time:
    My System

Alright, I ran it again with the same results. I tried searching my hard disk for any name related to the ComboFix.txt file and can't find any sort of log. Sorry this isn't going smoothly!

12. Crush

Crush Active Member

Local time:
    My System

Does ComboFix get to the point where it says it is generating a log?

13. adbyerly

Local time:
    My System

Unfortunately I have not had the time to watch, I've just had to let it do it's thing while I go to class or to the library to use a computer. The only thing I know is that my computer has restarted each time I have run ComboFix. I'll try to monitor it tonight when I get the time to run ComboFix again.

14. Crush

Crush Active Member

Local time:
    My System