Any magic keystrokes to unlock frozen PC?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tpcollins

tpcollins New Member

Local time:
    22:16
    My System

Once again my home PC is "locked up" for whatever reason (I had it scanned for viruses earlier this year and it doesn't get used all that much). It will not boot up, there just seems to be a loud noisy fan running, the monitor stays on safe mode.

Just wondering if there's a magical set of keystrokes to unlock it or whether I have to take it back in to the shop? Thanks.

2. driver_ian

driver_ian Security Team

Local time:
    My System

Hi tpcollins and welcome to the forum,

I've marked this as Open to attract those with a better knowledge of this type of problem than myself. It would be helpful if you could post your pc specs and operating system.

Thanks for your patience

3. DCiAdmin

DCiAdmin Well-Known Member

Local time:
    16:16
    My System

Hello & Welcome, tp :)

Do you see *anything* on the monitor? Any beeps during the boot attempt? Perhaps try a different monitor to confirm that it's not the monitor that has failed.

4. tpcollins

tpcollins New Member

Local time:
    My System

It's about an 8-10 year old HP A330n with an AMD Athlon processor running Windows XP. If I turn the moniter off and then back on, it just displays as being in the "Power Saving Mode". If I turn the PC on, the internal fan runs very loud. I loaded a CD and then a DVD trying to trick it into starting to do something but it won't do anything. Thanks.

5. DCiAdmin

DCiAdmin Well-Known Member

Local time:
    16:16
    My System

This sure sounds like a hardware issue to me. I would lean toward a failed motherboard since you are getting NO beeps.

You say this is an 8 - 10 year old PC? I would take any money that you would consider spending on this at a shop and put it toward replacing the system. You can really improve your computing power with just a little bit these days.