AC power adapter type cannot be determined.

1. Great_Escape

Great_Escape New Member

Local time:
    23:29
    My System

My laptop is less than a year old. I've had no problems with it at all, up until now. I don't think anything happened to cause this problem, it just happened randomly one day.

Whenever I plug in my laptop to try and charge it, I get a message saying "The AC power adapter type cannot be determined. Your system will operate slower and the battery will not charge. Please connect a Dell 90W AC adapter or higher for best system operation."

So this means I am unable to use my laptop on battery power. I don't recall damaging the adapter at all, it just happened one day when I plugged it in.

Any help would be appreciated =] Also, I can provide any computer details if they're needed.
  2. Arctos

Arctos Banned

Local time:
    08:29
    My System

Re: AC power adapter type cannot be determine

If the Dell laptop is under a year old, it should be repaired under warranty.

Phone Dell support for a RMA and send it back...

3. Great_Escape

Great_Escape New Member

Local time:
    My System

I'd like to, but then that means I'd be without my laptop for like 2 weeks. Plus is just seems like too much hassle. I was hoping the most I could do is maybe buy a new adapter. Is there a reason why this problem has occurred? I take good care of my laptop, so it's highly unlikely to be damaged.
  4. Jelly Bean

Jelly Bean Local PC Noobie.... Elite Member PCHF $Donator

Local time:
    My System

Hello there.

I have a sugestion or two for you.

You can take the charger and laptop to a local small computer shop,not some were like PCWorld as they will charge you and try to hang onto the laptop.

Smaller shops do not charge you just to test the charger and battery.They can rule out or in a charger or battery issue for you then we can move on further.

Or do you know someone who has a mutli charger you can borrow just to test the battery and see if it charges.If borrowing a multi charger charges your battery then we know your Dell charger is faulty.

Then you can ask Dell for a replacement or buy a multi charger.

I bought this one last week:

http://direct.tesco.com/q/N.1998365/Nr.99.aspx

You can buy cheaper however going cheap is taking a chance realy.

Jelly Bean.
  5. Great_Escape

Great_Escape New Member

Local time:
    My System

I think maybe getting it tested at a local computer shop would be a better idea. I will try that first, and see what happens :)

Thanks for your help
  6. Jelly Bean

Jelly Bean Local PC Noobie.... Elite Member PCHF $Donator

Local time:
    My System

Your welcome.

Yes have both tested at a local computer shop,a much better and safer idea then we have more of a clue what the real issue is.

Let me know what the shop says.

:)

Jelly Bean.
  7. ramki1

ramki1 New Member

Local time:
    18:29
    My System

I had the same problem, My other Dell charger would work fine but the original one that came with this laptop would always throw an error message indicating that the adapter wasn't recognized. None of the suggestions on any of the forums worked.

So I held the chord by the circular flex thing at the end, and pushed in the power pin with a little force into the laptop, held it on for a few seconds - And now the laptop recognizes the adapter, charges and works fine! If you push the power pin slow and gently into the laptop, it doesnt recognize the adapter. I think the problem is either with the wires near the pin of the power chord, or with the adapter in the laptop.

Try it, worked for me!